need advice…chicken recovering from dog attack won't stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boysnchickens, Nov 28, 2014.

1. boysnchickens

boysnchickens New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Our chicken Bessie was attacked by one of our dogs a week ago. She had two spots that were pretty torn up. One was worse than the other, but they both seem to be healing and don't look infected. We have been keeping them clean with hydorgen peroxide and antibacterial ointment as recommended here. The problem is that she still will not stand or walk. She is eating, drinking and pooping. Just won't stand/walk. I've check both her legs and I don't think either is broken. When I try to help her stand she curls her toes up, but not always on the same foot. Any thoughts? Should I try putting her in a sling?

2. boysnchickens

boysnchickens New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    Ok. So I gave our Bessie a soak in some warm epsom salt water and was able to more thoroughly exam her legs. It does just seem to be her right leg. This is the same side that one of her wounds is on. The wound is really on her leg…more on her side almost under her wing. She will stand on the left, but her right leg doesn't even seem to release at the joint. I tried to help her staighten it and it just seems stuck in it's current position. Any ideas on what this might be and what I can do for her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would give Bessie some more time to rest her leg, in case it is fractured. Sometimes a slight fracture may not show much swelling. She also could have nerve damage in the leg from the injury. Two or more weeks is required for bones to heal. Then if you want to try a sling, it shouldn't hurt her leg to move it too much. Put her on a good poultry vitamin with minerals while she is confined to help build up her strength. There are some clever threads with pictures of chicken slings to look up in the meantime. Rooster Booster Poultry Booster has minerals, and is usually available in farm stores.

4. boysnchickens

boysnchickens New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    So you don't think I should mess with trying to get her to straighten it. I am just worried that if I don't stretch it her tendon will get so tight she won't ever be able to straighten it again, but I don't want to hurt her more in trying to manipulate it. She doesn't seem to mind me messing with it and doesn't seem like she is in much pain.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can see your point about the leg tightening up. You can try a sling, but if she moves her legs too much at first I would probably let it rest another week. Does she not move or stretch the leg on her own?

6. boysnchickens

boysnchickens New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    No she does not move it or stretch it on her own. She keeps it pretty tight up under her belly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by