Need advice about abandoned rooster (PIC)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by jbowyer01, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Okay I'm not sure if this is were this should to be posted but I'm at my wits end! We have a beautiful rooster that has adopted us (at least the other side of our fence). We asked around our neighborhood about him and we are in the understanding that the gentleman that owned him is incarcerated. The family has moved and this guy was left behind. Now having said that, I feel bad for the guy but I am unable to keep him. He is some kind of leghorn mix I believe (he has white legs) he is beautiful but my chickens are all bantams and I have a feeling this guy was used for purposes that are not allowed to be discussed here on BYC (gotta follow those rules [​IMG] ) His comb has been removed, he also has HUGE (and I mean HUGE!) spurs! I am worried about him getting into my yard so I have kept my little bantam hens and roo in their covered run, they are not happy but I know this guy could hurt or even kill my gentle little roo. If he comes in my yard should I try to get him into a cage (dog kennel) and find him a home or just see if someone wants to catch him and they can take him home. Shooting him is not an answer (residential area, and I would feel really bad) and calling our dog catcher is out also (they are worthless, in fact they bring dogs to me so I can rehome them). Can anyone give me some advice and I'm sorry for the long post.

here is a pic
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    it would be best for him if you can trap him and find him a good home and I mean a good home where he can live out the rest of his days in peace...

3. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    He's mighty purty.

The SPCA or ASPCA or even the local county extension for animal control will take him.

If worse comes to worse, just get him processed and stick him in your freezer.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That's what I was thing about- maybe you can make a separate pen and give him a chance to be a happy but lonely roo for the rest of his days? That way he can't hurt the Banties, and you may be able to rehome him eventually via Craig's List. That's where I got my EE roo.

5. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    yep best for him to be rehome to a good family

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    He looks like a game and he probably would hurt you little rooster. If you decided to keep him - just keep him separated and give him one of your little hens- He more than likely won't hurt her. You might also go over at night with a flashlight if you know where he roosts and catch him. But be careful of those spurs!! He's a beauty for sure!!
    And by the way - Game banty crosses are awesome!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    You might try to catch him and post him on Craigslist. If anyone is interested you could warn them that he may have to be the only roo or seperate cause you aren't sure of his past.

8. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thanks everyone, he just seems to be so sad. I think he's blind in one eye also (he actually let me get close to him today). I will talk with my DH and we will see what we can do. Those spurs sure do scare me!

9. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I have a similiar problem and don't want my purebreds being mated by a stray roo. But the boy has no hens in his own yard and the owner dissapears for weeks at a time. Thinking about rehoming him.

10. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    My experience with chickens is limited so seeing this guy and those spurs well its kinda intimidating. How in the world would I catch him without getting hurt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by