Need advice about eye-worm disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by edkmn, May 31, 2010.

1. edkmn

edkmn New Egg

May 14, 2010
    Have had a bad out break of eye-worm disease. Any help would be wonderful. It seems to attack my silver spangled hamburgs worse than any other. Have had to put down several already and 2 more have got it. Nobody around here seems to know what to do about it.

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have never heard of it before. Do you have a picture of it?

3. edkmn

edkmn New Egg

May 14, 2010
    No. I'm still learning about computers and I don't know how. When my son gets back from his 4-H trip, I'll get him to help me. It starts with the eye looking glassy and then watery. Then the eye closes and swells and mats up. It's pitifull.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I try to stay out of this part of the forum because some of the things just make me SO worried about my precious chickens. The subject line to this topic is just horrifying, but I am going to subscribe to see what the experts have to say about it. The folks here on BYC are SO informative!

Good luck with your chickens. It sounds pitiful.

5. lysel3

lysel3 New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    This is a good video on YouTube, showing how to remove the eye worm. I had no idea such a thing existed.

Apparently the things can eat out the eye & soft tissue, causing death. Scary stuff!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by