Need advice about foot injury...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by robbinbaker, Apr 20, 2008.

1. robbinbaker

robbinbaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Poulsbo, WA
    My 5 1/2 week old Buff Orpington has a scratch/cut on his foot. I haven't had a chance to read up on injuries and treatments for my new chickens. Do I need to do anything? I'm concerned that it will get infected. I think he/she (I'm still wondering about sex) must have scratched it on a bush while investigating the backyard. I was very careful about filing down screws in the chicken coop so there was nothing that could injure them.
    Advice? Should I wash it and put ointment on it or leave it alone or what?
    Thanks!
    Robbin

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I'd clean it off, then use neosporin or another antibacterial on it...it also depends on where the injury is..
    Our beloved ChickChair is from your neighbourhood,btw...

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    wash it then apply antibiotic creme and unless you are goin to sperate until healed you could put a bandage on it (make a shoe)...
    Many would say this is not necessary but this is exactly how you get bumblefoot if you don't.

4. robbinbaker

robbinbaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Poulsbo, WA
    The wound is very small, and on the top of the foot, not underneath, so that's good. But I'll take your advice and at least wash it and coat it in neosporin. Thanks!

Interesting... this is what I'd do for my dogs, or even my guinea pigs. I don't know why I assume I'm totally at a loss with the chickens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by