Need advice about goat worming

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by emvickrey, Nov 4, 2010.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    We have this little billy goat that we bought at the auction a couple weeks ago. We noticed his belly is always huge and DH suggested we watch for worms. I thought it was because he eats all the time. Well, today I noticed tape worms all in his poo and instead of his poop being like rabbit pellets it's more corn on the cob-like. Not in color of course. Sorry but the only way I can describe it. I don't know if this is regular kind of worms that goats get but it looked just like tape worms that dogs get.

Now for the question. I have some Wazine that I use to worm my chickens and the bottle says it can be used for swine. Can I use it for the goat. He's young but weened already. So he's not that young. He has about 4" horns if that tells you anything. I really have no idea. DH just had to have a goat and he wants to get a girl to start breeding so I have to learn all I can first on how to care for them. We don't have a fenced area for him but instead DH put him on a dog chain with a collar and he has a cable ran so he can have more room to get around. He seems to be ok with it and he even adopted the big dog house we have so DH moved it so he can get in it when he wants and put a door on it to lock him in at night so no dogs can get to him. Or anything else for that matter. We have no guard dog that runs the property. We have a lab that follows me everywhere and will sit and wait for me to finish tending to the animals then she walks me back to the house.

Anyway. I'll be going to get wormer friday so if this Wazine will work would somebody come along and let me know. No need to buy something else when this will do the job. I do know tape worms in dogs takes a certain pill. The other wormer doesn't work for them.

2. Chickygirl55

Chickygirl55 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    No idea on the Wazine hope someone else is more helpful. I just bought the liquid wormer, I think ivormectin idk for sure cause its out in the barn. Good luck with your goat. What kind is he?

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
  4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    A goat on a chain is a very bad thing! They are vulnerable to coyotes and dog attacks. You may be able to find used fence panels or some farm fence to make a small area. Your goat will be happier and safer. We use 4 ft. no climb horse fence with a strand of barb wire at the top. Goats do very poorly alone! They actually become very depressed and pine. It is always recommended to have at least 2 goats if you have a goat. We use a pellet feed dewormer that can be found at Tractor Supply. They also have salt blocks, mineral blocks, and grain feed. Our gots get an alfalfa/grass mix during the Winter months. Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    go to Yahoo on the group info and put in Boer goats. Anything and everything you need to know about goats is on there.
    And yes you really need 2 goats they get very upset.
    I know he is a buckling but some wormers cause miscarriages. I quit worming mine about 2 years ago and they are all healthy but it is work to get them there. IMO goats are the hardest animals to take care of, keep in, we dont have a fence that our goats cant climb, jump, break to get out. They are very smart animals. But I love them. Mine are all do to kid very shortly.

6. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Try this page for info on sheep & goats.
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/

As far as wormer safeguard is the safest for livestock. You have to double dose for a few days. ie if they say give x amount once, you need to give x amount everyday for 4 days. Or you can give a small amount of Zimectrin GOLD. ie if they say give 2ml for 100lbs and he weights 50 than you would give 1ml. BUT PLEASE READ THE LABEL ON ANYTHING YOU GIVE!!!!! It is easy to overdose them if using a product marked for another species, trust me! Almost killed a sheep when she got the wrong amount.

7. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I went to Rural King and bought some stuff called Goat Dewormer Concentrate. It's pellets like his food is. The salesman checked the package and said it will take care of tape worms. It says on the package that it stops the life cycle. To give more in 2 to 3 weeks and thats it.

We do plan to buy another goat but I told DH he can't till he can build a pen for them. The chain is a pain in the rear end. I have to unwrap him from around the rabbit hutch several times a day. Seems to be his favorite place to go. He was terrified of us when we first got him. I don't know if it was from the whole scary auction process but now he's not so scared. I talk nice and pet him everyday. DH works midnights and 10 to 11 hours a night and his drive is 2 hours round trip so he don't have much time at home to do things. Today we spent a few hours closing up the big coop and started on the silkie pen. I plan to downsize the chickens and put the EE's and RIR's in the same pen since there is only a roo for the EE's and we may just put the goat in the other side. There is a large run on the whole coop and he coop and run is divided with a door inside the coop to go into the other side. There is also a access door so the chickens on one side can get out to free range. Anyway. The goats will either go in the big coop or we'll move the silkies to one side of the big coop and put the goats in the silkie pen. Either way there will be no access to eating any roughage except for what we provide. I can fill the pen with straw.

The goat on the chain now is safe except for getting himself tangled. He has a dog house that DH and a grandson made a door for and we lock him inside at night. After today, i'll lock him in when i'm gone to but i'm almost always here.

Back to the dewormer. I put some in his feed dish with no food just the wormer and put it in his house and locked the door with him in it. I heard him eating it before I had the door locked. So I will be getting up early tomorrow to let him out and clean out his house. I'm sure it will be nasty.

I don't know what kind of goat he is. I'll have to take a pic. He is mostly black with some white and his horns resemble those of a Boer goat but he's still young. I know they are very sharp and he knows how to use them. I have to watch out when I untangle him. Hopefully this weekend we can get him better housing and a girlfriend to spend the winter with

DH bought him on a whim. He almost bought a girl to keep him company but I had to remind him we where in a car and it was already full of cages. He had to hold the goat in his lap all the way home and it was about an hour drive. Poor goat. My middle grandson gets in the dog house with him and explains to him that we won't hurt him and that we are nice people and he wants to play with him. It's so cute. We have 3 Grandsons and he is the little farmer.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:The package says safe for pregnant and lactating goats. I doubt he is pregnant or lactating. [​IMG]

9. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:You can file or nip off the pointy ends of his horns. Some people put tennis balls on the ends of them. If he is an intact male, they not to pet of rub the top of his head. That will tend to make them want to rub or butt you.
    I had to explain to my friend one day as she was petting my breeding buck ( he loves people) that it was not wise to rub his chin. She was like "he likes it" I told her that when he wants to put on the cologne for the ladies in the next field, he does so by peeing on the beard on his chin. Then waving his head in the wind to attract them. And that she now had a handfull of "Goat Pee" and that was that nasty smell she was smelling!

10. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Hi emvickery! I learned everything from this site when I first started thinking of getting goats. When we had goats, I used this site a lot to help figure things out. There are several good things here that you will want to know, just have a look around it. The breeding section is very helpful as well since you will be wanting to do that in the future. Good luck! Goats are FUN! www.fiascofarm.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by