1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice about my rooster(s)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by apetelo, Jun 12, 2008.

1. apetelo

apetelo Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    I have 5-5wk old NH Red's, of which I think 2 are roosters. First, what do you think from the pic's, are they definitely roosters? These are our first chicks. We got them for egg production and as pets. I have 2DD's, 1 & 3, so am not planning on keeping the roosters. Do you think I should re-home them sooner rather than later when they start acting like roosters? Obviously, the longer we have them, the more attached we get. In fact, one of them is my favorite, he's always been the friendliest towards me. We call him "Doodle" for cockle-doodle-doo. Any advice would be great!!
    Thank you!
    Amy

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  2. Red Tie

Red Tie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Metamora, MI
    I agree with the not keeping them any longer than you have to. It is easy to get attached, especially with little children. Roos will always be roos, with hens around even more so! I would find them new homes asap unless I was going to eat them (which is what we do with the boys!).

jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by