Need advice about rooster behavior with auto door

Bliss57

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
So, it’s been a week since I installed the auto chicken door. The hens have no problem going in or out now, however the rooster just won’t do it. He stands inside at the door and gets anxious while watching them. No amount of coaxing will get him to venture out. He is getting territorial about the barn now, so it makes it hard to collect eggs. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Bliss57

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Is it too small for him?
So he has not been out of the coop in a week?
I'd shove him thru the door.
He went in and out for a couple of days and then stopped, so I know he fits through the door. The door is slightly smaller than the old one though, so he may just not like it. I put in the door so my pet sitter wouldn’t have to deal with locking them up at night. Fortunately there is water and food in the coop

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
He went in and out for a couple of days and then stopped, so I know he fits through the door. The door is slightly smaller than the old one though, so he may just not like it. I put in the door so my pet sitter wouldn’t have to deal with locking them up at night. Fortunately there is water and food in the coop
Hopefully he gets with the program, and not locked out at night.

Bliss57

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
I hope so too. Tried opening an old larger door in the coop to see if he’d use it to go out into the run. Nope, just won’t go outside period! Made my sitter aware of the situation and she said she would try to help as best she can. It’s just strange that he is acting this way. I will keep on it and fingers crossed he’ll get over it soon

Top Bottom