Need advice about surviving chicken

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by addictedtochickens, Aug 29, 2010.

1. addictedtochickens

addictedtochickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    This morning I walked out to feed the chicks as I normally do and the gate was busted. Chicken bodies were lying everywhere and one survived. I know I cannot keep this chicken all alone because chickens are social, but what do I do? SHOULD I GIVE THE CHICKEN TO ANOTHER CHICKEN OWNER SO IT CAN BE WITH MORE CHICKENS? Then I can just start from scratch and get new chicks with the money I will be getting from the neighbors who let their dog out to eventually kill my animals. OR, SHOULD I GET ANOTHER CHICKEN TO KEEP THIS ONE COMPANY? WOULD I QUARANTINE THE NOOBIE OR LET IT IN WITH THE LONELY CHICKEN RIGHT OFF? I just don't know what to do in this situation, and know that I will definately be getting new chickens and fixing my run, I just want the best for my remaining chicken. Any advice is appreciated.

2. GeeVee

GeeVee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    Sonoma County
    how sad, i have experienced this horror as well, my condolences. [​IMG]
    all you can do now is make that run more secure (we had to improve ours several times, each following yet another animal attack). is your chicken vaccinated for merricks? that is the only disease i know of that you need to be wary of. feed stores usually sell vaccinated chickens, but they can still be carriers of the disease, so if yours is not vaccinated, that is a possible risk. where are you located?

3. CCFarms9559

CCFarms9559 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Jeffersontown, Ky
    I'm so sorry. I would be devastated.

4. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    I live in Montana and will definately be reinforcing the run with an apron and making a more sucure gate to the run. I had it secured so no big dog could get into the coop ( obviously could get into the run with a lot of work) and the fence was heavy duty enough to keep out small dogs so I thought I was good. The neighbor who let theirs out had both. The big dog got into the run, and the little dog flushed the chickens out of the coop. I heard barking halfway through the night and was so sure that the chickens were secure. Oh well, guess its back to phase one.

5. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Your lone chicken will be just fine till you can get some replacements for the ones you lost. The myth that animals can't adapt to being alone is just that----a myth. Granted, they might be happier with companions, but they do just fine alone.

Put an electric fence around your run. It would be good to install it before you get your replacement chickens, so the dogs will become acclimated to it. An electric fence is probably the most effective deterrent to dogs that you can buy.

6. addictedtochickens

Aug 6, 2010
    Thanks. I went and talked to the owner of the dogs and he was really nice about it. He was having a party the night before and the dogs ran through the electric fence and they just found them this morning. I felt really bad because he was so nice and just wanted to make things right. Normally they live in a kennel so I won't have to worry about them anymore but will still make needed improvements to my run.

My chicken is doing a little better and is eating oatmeal. It did do one weird thing though. I came into the coop where we had it locked up and we had forgotten to remove the feathers from the nesting boxes (Lots of feathers probably from chickens trying to escape and being caught) and the little chicken had gathered up all of the feathers left in the coop and put them in a pile. It was just lying of the pile of feathers and making a really sad whining noise. Hopefully it will be okay and we can get it some buddies.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Awww how sad abouther gathering all the feathers and making noises. I hope you can get a new flock going soon.Glad the neighbor will compensate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by