need advice about two adolscent roosters

lalaland

Crowing
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Pine County MN
even tho I've had hens for 8 yrs, I've never had roosters for a variety of reasons. When my flock was wiped out this summer, I wanted instant company for the sole survivor, and got some bantam pullets. Turns out that of the 3, two are roosters. So, the flock consists of 2 standard hens, and 1 cochin banty, a mixed breed banty rooster, and a silkie banty rooster.

The two roosters are about 5-6 months old and are starting to challenge each other. How bad will this get? Right now the snow is deep, drifts are high enough to make the fence meaningless, and with coyotes and wolves in the area, not to mention other critters, I don't let them out - so they are in a smallish coop - maybe 10x10 feet.

Do I have to get rid of one? So far, no blood.
What do you think?

It will depend on the roosters how far it will go. Sorry, I know that is not much help, but it is my experience. I currently have 4 roosters. One 'alpha' roo, Chester, and 3 young roos who all grew up together. The three get along great, and roost all snuggled together. BUT Chester has decided that they are not allowed down off the perches. that means that on bad weather days, they spend the whole time up on the perches and shelves, unable to come down to forage or drink.

When they are all outside, they are allowed to exist on the outskirts of the flock, and as long as they avoid him, he leaves them alone, if they get to close, he chases. We have decided to rehome them, because it is just not fair for them to have to spend thier whole winters starving on a shelf, while food is 4 feet away. I think he would allow them to stay, but it would always be conditional, and they just dont seem happy.

I think you need to watch your boys, and if they keep escalating, well then, yup, someone has to go. But if they work it out, well, then your good to go! I do think that it is interesting that Chester tolerates the cochin roosters better than the Wyandotte. I think the rounded shape is less offensive to him? I dont know!

Good Luck, but dont wait too long to decide, one bad fight is all it takes, if in doubt, rehome.

It will depend on the roosters. I've had some cohabitate ok till I culled out the ones I didn't want tokeep.

Then I've had some cohabitate ok, then all the suden fight each other so bloody that their eyes blooded over glued shut by the time they were found in the evening.

Then, on the extreme, had some hate each other so much that even if they slept in different houses, they HAD to stay on opposite sides of the yard and if anyone stepped over anyones territory, a battle would begin.

One thing I can say for certain though, is that two roosters with just thee hens will leave you with some naked backed girls by next year.

darn, I was afraid of that. I have two days off in a row now, and I'll have time to spend in the coop to watch them. thanks for your thoughts.

its usually isnt so bad when they grow up together,, they will ALWAYS have spats here and there,, like all us at work,, they will always try to move up in ranks,, just like your hens. the alpha will always push the "lower" roo around once in a while, just to stress he's still top dog,, the "lower" will always try to move up the ladder,, and the alpha will almost always push the "lower" off hens. they might surprise you,, i have roo's that get along together better then my hens do
wink.png

I do plan to get more chicks next spring. So far the two bantam roosters have paid no attention to the bantam cohcin hen, and the one bantam rooster seems to devote his attention to my astrolorp - funny to watch, can't imagine him being successful as he mostly falls off her. The other standard mixed hen won't tolerate either of the two little roosters.

So far , it does seem as if there is just some posturing and chasing....wish it was summer so there was more room for them.

actually, I've avoided having roosters for 8 years because of the problems they can be to hens...these were "accidental" roosters and I am watching the hens very carefully to see they aren't abused.

Having said that, it sure would be fun to have ahen hatch babies!

I have several roosters that were raised together and got along fine except for the daily "crow-off". They are about 27 weeks old now. We had been debating who to get rid of this spring because I don't have enough hens to go around. Well today two of them got in a knock down drag out fight. Mostly just comb damage but one has a torn lower eyelid and both are covered in blood. These guys have a smallish coop have always slept next to each other and free range during the day. Never saw this bad of a fight coming between brothers.

I am pretty sure the fight was over girls as there is only 11 hens and 6 cockerals.

Back
Top Bottom