1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice adding new hens to flock ...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChixinLyons, Jul 27, 2011.

1. ChixinLyons

ChixinLyons Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    Good morning! I'm new to the forum, but been a user of the site for much longer. Love it!! We've had four hens since March of this year (actually started with six but one died as a chick and another was killed by a dog visiting the neighbor up the hill two weeks ago -- and we were worried about the coyotes, bobcats, and foxes!? They're all about 20 weeks old and getting ready to start laying eggs. Here's our problem ... we have room for and want a larger flock so we added two more hens (about the same age or maybe one week older) two nights ago. We were told to add them in by placing them on a roost in the coop after the original hens had gone in the coop for the night, so we did this. Supposedly, when they all woke up yesterday they would get along as if they'd been in the same flock since birth! Unfortunately, that didn't happen and three of the original four are really picking on the two new hens -- actually kept them pinned in a corner of the coop all day yesterday without food or water! We have food and water in the coop and the pen today so that everyone stays hydrated, but need to know what to do to get these hens on the same page. Anyone? Thank you!

2. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    When I first introduce new chickens to the flock I always keep them separate yet able to see each other for a while. This allows the other girls to get used to them without being to pick on them too much. When you do add them for real they are going to get picked on to establish "pecking" order. But it should eventually get better. You just have to let them do their thing, unless they are pulling a lot of feathers and it looks like they are truly trying to hurt them then separate them for a little while longer. That is just what I do and it works great for me. I can even introduce smaller birds with no problems.

3. ChixinLyons

ChixinLyons Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    We'll try that when we get home tonight! Thank you so much!

4. CMTSMWC

CMTSMWC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    Your welcome I hope it works for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by