Need advice/Already took to vet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HomeschoolPollo, Jun 8, 2016.

1. HomeschoolPollo

HomeschoolPollo Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    I took our 35 day chick, Amber Dash, to the vet 13 days ago. She was acting tired, always puffed up, lacked energy, just wanted to sleep, lay on her side, sneezing, and opening her beak a lot and stretching her neck. The vet did poop tests and found nothing. Throat, heart and lungs looked/sounded good. 7 days of steroids and 10 days of antibiotics. Sneezing gone and opening of beak pretty much gone (we have had some really hot weather here).

She was feeling better, however now after stopping the steroids she is always puffed up and wants to sleep. She is our only house pet and we spend a ton of time with her. But she is not perky like I think a baby chicken should be or like she was several weeks ago. Here poop looks normal and she is drinking and eating (although not as much as she was several weeks ago). She eats starter scratch and crumb and a little hardboiled egg yoke.

Looking for suggestions as to what I should try next as I don't plan on taking her back to the vet. TIA.

2. HomeschoolPollo

HomeschoolPollo Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Also is it normal to be able to feel your baby chicks trachea? I am concerned she hasn't been eating enough. And today I can feel what seems to be her trachea. I can feel her crop too which I know you can when it has food in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by