Need advice and help on insulation and wall lining for new home made hatching incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fried green eggs, Apr 15, 2012.

1. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I just disassembled my little blue igloo hatching bator. I have had three pretty good to great hatches in it but, it's just too [​IMG] small. I have a shipping crate storage chest I have had for years and have a better purpose for it now than storing horse blankets. So, I bought a roll of the foil insulation (the stuff that looks like foil lined bubble wrap) and I got water proof foil tape for seams. I planned to use the foil to line the whole inside of the chest.
    My question is can chicks peck it and damage it ? Does the inside need to be lined with plastic like the igloo cooler to be tough and easy to clean and disinfect? I need to get this hatcher put together tomorrow so I have a few days to stablize before I add eggs.

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Anybody? i saw the foil insulation on the incubator page. Who has used this stuff? Is it easy to clean and does it hold up to chicks in bator?

3. CuriousQuail

CuriousQuail Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Hate to bump old posts, but I'm curious about the chicks attacking the foil.

I suppose I could make a sort of fencing to restrict them... I've got a fair sized would drawer with a glass window that I salvaged from an ikea dresser.

I know I need a better insulator since would doesn't hold up well. I suppose I can just get some foam boards too...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by