need advice and ID on these shamo chickens... PICS!... *updated*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gumbii, Mar 25, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    okay, a friend on a marine reef forum is trading me some chickens for some corals... LOL...

to be honest, i really don't want them, but i'm helping him out, and they look so neat... he doesn't know what they are, but he knows his dad paid a lot of money for them... today he sent me pics... they look like shamo to me, but i want to know if it's worth me trading or getting a pair from him...

warning, the pictures are from today, and they got very messy and ragged from the rain... oh, and they aren't their pets, these people use them for meat birds, so they aren't in the best condition really... it doesn't bother me much, but i know there are some pet oriented people in here that are gonna be all "they're cages are like totally totally small and dirty" LOL... these are not hobbyist, they are somewhat poor, and feed themselves with them when they can... i offered to trade them some std cochins for a pair, but they like stringy hard chewy meat... their words... HAHAHA...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's the details on the trade... i'm giving him, about 140 dollars worth of corals... he's giving me a pair, and i can basically pick out any that i want... i like that wheaten hen, but i don't see any wheaton roo's in there... so i'm thinking that they are all mixed breed... so if i go, i might just get a pair or white, or a pair of black... but i'll get the biggest pair they have... ruin their thanksgiving... HAHAHHA...

so, do you think it's a good deal..? are these guys worth breeding out, or should i just have them as pet and let them run around with my dogs..?

thanks...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    there is no wheaten male in this breed

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    The Wheaten female is not full Wheaten, she's got some duckwing in there too. So that black stag with the tiny bit of red in his hackle will do fine. Orientals don't really breed true with color most of the time, as they're not a big show bird - Remember, these weren't bred for perfect showing in the beginnings. [​IMG]

They look more like Asils to me though, plus, Shamos in white and especially spangled/mottled are not common.

If I were to choose, I'd take any of the first three females shown, one of them infact even has some wheaten or duckwing in her, even though she looks mostly black. The have nice bodies and faces, despite their absolutely enormous crops. . . Gosh, those poor birds must have been starving to death!

As for males, I only see one black male and some tiny, young looking possible male whites, so. . . I'd say the black.

Chickendales - Yes, there is. I have one myself.

4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    the look like they meet apa standard

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    could they be malay

6. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    wow, thanks for the quick replies...

he said that the biggest male he has is 30" tall... also said that his dad paid 300 bucks a pair when he first got them a couple of years back... i really don't know the difference between asil, malay and shamo...

are there some signs i should look out for...? leg color..? comb...? colors...? size...? i've been looking at feather site, and i can't tell the difference... LOL...

thanks again guys...

7. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    looked at some link to breeders look like shamo

8. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    looks like they just breed for type more then any thing

9. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Quote:I just have to say something, I wouldn't even raise chickens I was gonna eat in this condition. That's very sad....

10. gumbii

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:yeah i noticed that too... i've also seen some that win shows... very ugly... LOL... but that's what they like... i like the way they look a lot, but compared to my OEGB or cochins... they are ugly birdies... HAHAHA...

also, feathersite shows white shamo... if they are indeed shamo, i'm going to get me a pair of white, since they are a bit of a rarity around here... i just want the tallest one...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by