Need advice and info on weird looking egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starryeyes, May 19, 2009.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    So i have like 37 rouen eggs in bator collected over the past few weeks. I candled them and 5 or 6 look like this . I can see a baby moving in all of them but look how it humps. Anyone know why its that way? Or have you ever had eggs in bator like that? All i can figure is some were 3 weeks old maybe to old?

Any advice would be great

Starry[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    My first thought was that the humidity is too low, and they've lost so much moisture that their airsacs are growing too fast. Are you misting them at all? What's your humidity at?

3. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    I have a hova bator with fan and turner the humidity is 60 to 65 % i did the whole misting thing last time and out of 14 eggs i got 3 ducks they made it to day 26 or so and died. So this time i have not misted i wonder if i should>?

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  4. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If I remember correctly, you don't mist the last 3-4 days... I could be wrong, but I stop when I stop turning them. That might have made a difference... I dunno. Maybe someone with more experience with duck eggs will chime in here. [​IMG]

5. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I think when you said that some eggs were three weeks old you hit the nail on the head. The eggs lost too much moisture before incubation that likely the air sac has grown to a formidable size. In this case, it seems highly unlikely that the baby will be able to grow to full size, or for that matter, emerge healthy. But never give up.

6. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    That is all i can think of to that they were just to old.

Starry

7. DANNY

DANNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    GAINESVILLE, GEORGIA
    IT LOOKS LIKE THE EGG WAS IN THE TURNER WITH THE BIG END DOWN.

8. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    nope all small ends facing down so who knows [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by