Need advice as to possible sex of chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bscorpio73, Jun 21, 2010.

1. bscorpio73

bscorpio73 In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have three chicks, one blue maran and two black copper marans. They are around 4 weeks old, but may be days apart from each other with the blue chick being the youngest. I have had them since they were days old. I am almost certain one of the black copper marans is a roo. I was hoping to have a female of each breed, as my neighbors would probable frown upon me having a rooster. I think the blue maran is a roo as well, as I had witnessed the black roo and the blue maran bumping chests and pecking at each other, as if in a power struggle. I am hoping to get any insight in the experience of behavior of the sexes in young chicks.

Thanks so much for your insight. [​IMG]

This picture was taken about a week ago, and the comb on the black maran in the middle/back is considerably larger than the other two.

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The one in the back is definately rooey. The blue one may be as well--it is hard to tell from the picture, and they are awfully young yet.

Behavior is not a great indicator at this age, since plenty of hens can be super-pushy. [​IMG]

3. bscorpio73

bscorpio73 In the Brooder

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just took these pictures, and noticed a nick on the comb. Can I put Aquaphor on it? I use it all the time on my boys. It's is just a petrolium cream. I used in on one of my other chicks, and it seemed to help with healing quickly. Hope these pictures are a little better. I really hope that the blue maran does turn out to be female, but she/he is very aggressive. It usually pecks my hand when I try to pick it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a pic of my other pullets with our puppy. She (the puppy) is more interested in cleaning up the chicken poop than chasing them. LOL

[​IMG]

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    That blue is definitely a cockerel with that comb. Chest bumping is not necessarily a sign of males, but it can be. I've had brooders full of pullets all bumping chests before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: