Need advice ASAP----sick pot belly pig

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by drdoolittle, Jul 27, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    One of my pots is sick---not interested in food, standing and shivering. I'm sure he has a fever. My question: can I give injectable pencillin to him orally? I have the penicillin, just no needles and would like to give him some ASAP. I can get needles later, but won't be home 'til probably 3 p.m.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    got to get the needle unfortunately...

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If you don't know what's wrong with the pot belly pig, take it to the vet. If you do know what she has, I would not waste any time. Either have someone give her the shots (you can work in paying them for the needles later) or take some time off from work to adminster the shot. Too long of a high fever is not good for the pig because their organs can fail under those extreme temperatures.

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you for the info.---I posted on BYH, but no one replied. It's not work taking me from home-----I hae to take my MIL to the hospital for something. Can't beg off as she is 81 and no one else to get her there. I will give my baby his shot as soon as I get back (no one around to borrow a needle from). He's only started acting a bit off, so I don't think it's an emergency, but I know how quickliy pigs can go downhill.

Also, we are leaving for vacation on Sat. morning----I know he'll need the pencillin for an entire week. There is someone staying at our place to care for our animals, I don 't think he would feel comfortable giving injections. I'll have to either get oral antibiotics or take my pot down to a neighbor who can keep him and give the injections.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] You got your bases covered! [​IMG]

6. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I sure don't feel like it-----I feel like one of my human kids is sick. I sure hope he snaps out of it quickly----don't like seeing him not act normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by