Need advice asap!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aj chicken, Feb 11, 2017.

1. aj chicken

aj chicken New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Hello my chicken friends. I am new here and so excited to join the crew!

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us.

What do you need advice about?

3. aj chicken

aj chicken New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    I was given 25 hens today. Only wanted a few but took all 24. They are starved and dehydrated. But are eating and drinking. 2 are very weak. I have given them layer feed and some corn and also electrolytes in their water. Looking for any advice to get them healthy and thriving again.

4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Separate the two weak ones and make sure they are eating and drinking. Check for internal and external parasites on all (might want to deworm). Those are probably the most pressing things.

Do you have enough space for them, since you were only trying to get a few? Are they all female, or do you have some roos? Did you already have chickens? If so, try to keep them separate so you don't introduce anything to your existing flock.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, aj chicken, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Sounds like those chickens were lucky that you were around to take them. Sounds to me that you are doing a great job with the food and electrolytes but you might go with a higher protein content blend - or give them some chopped boiled egg and some yogurt for a protein boost. You might also want to check them for parasites - if they were mistreated, parasites are a real possibility as well. Hope the two weak ones recover soon. Best wishes and thank you for joining BYC!!

6. aj chicken

aj chicken New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Farmgal,
    I have seperated the 2 weaks ones already. They are eating and drinking. I do plan to deworm all of them. And will check for parasites as well. I have put them in my coop which is not real big. But perfect for them as they are weak and were being picked on. I have also nust fixed them some boiled egg yolks too. I do already have some chickens, a roo and 3 hens. So my coop is not real large. I had started with 7 hens and my roo, but lost 4 hens to chicken hawks.Thats why I had planned to only get a few, but after seeing their condition, I had to rescue them all. Four were already dead. They had no food or water in or out of the coop and were over crowded terribly. My others i already had dont like the coop for some reason and roost in the trees. Thank you for your advice. I greatly appreciate it!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under aj chicken [​IMG] Welcome!

Kudos to you for giving those girls a chance at a better life .. I wish them and you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you so much for taking them in. The weak ones were probably bullied away from food & water - then pecked at for being weaker. Chickens can be unforgiving. They will probably thrive away from the others.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Your weak ones may appreciate warmed oatmeal as well.

9. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It sounds as though they had a rough start in life. Hopefully with the information you've been given, things start to look up for them soon.

10. aj chicken

aj chicken New Egg

Feb 11, 2017
    Greetings to all! Thanks to all of you for your helpful information. I am happy to say that the 2 that are so weak are still alive this morning. All others are doing okay as well. I am boilings eggs now to give yolks to them again. Im going to deworm and treat for lice and mites. Was wondering what are the best products to use on them, but not too harsh for them since they are all in recovery per say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by