Need Advice ASAP

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by The Duck Ladie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    I need some advice as soon as possible. I have some 6 weeks old Magpies. I can now tell that I have 1 girl and two boys. I CANNOT keep the boys, but I do not want the girl to be alone. I have some ducklings that I hatched yesterday mostly, but I don't think she will accept them, and she might hurt them. Anyone mixed ducklings varying in age that much? I say I need to know ASAP because I am bringing the new ducklings to a swap tomorrow. I don't think I could do that, but It can't hurt to ask if anyone has done it. What do you think I should do?

2. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    How many 'lings are there? It should work as long as the 6 week old doesn't trample the other ones? Hopefully someone else will chime in. How many ducklings are you keeping?

3. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    I have 3 big 'lings (1 girl 2 boys), and 6 wittle ([​IMG]) 'lings. Gotta go.

4. Bengt747

Bengt747 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2015
    I wouldn't risk it. Your six-week old ducks don't need nearly as much heat and protection as the day-old ducklings. As nice as your six-week old ducks might seem, I wouldn't trust them not to take a swipe at the younger ducklings or unintentionally trample them.

When the day-olds reach close to full-size, then it would probably be okay to start integrating all the ages into one flock. At this point, however, you would risk losing your few day-old ducklings to trampling, aggressive picking, or simply getting too drenched. Six-week old ducks go through a whole lot more water than a day-old ducklings, and they could make the pen too wet and damp for the little ones.

If you decided to keep any of the day-old ducklings, I definitely recommend keeping them separate from your six-week old ducks.

5. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Maybe you'll find another older duckling at the swap tomorrow to keep her company for a while. Or keep one or both boys until your new ducklings are old enough to determine what you have and can keep and integrate with the older ones. Then bring the boys to a swap.

6. The Duck Ladie

Feb 23, 2016
    That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

7. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    Oh yes I didn't even think about the heat factor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by