NEED ADVICE, BABY DUCK HEAD WOUND NO SKIN SKULL EXPOSED

Duck111

Chirping
Jun 21, 2017
So I have never had this happen where I try to fix something this large, I really didn't think this poor little guy would not survive the Hawk attack. He was about 5 days old when this happen, this happen about 12 days ago. He started to improve by the 2nd to 3rd day. Eats alot but his eye sight is not good at all, he had some zesures the 1st to 2nd day not sure if it was because I used Banixx to clean the wound, but he Also had part of his skull punctured, I then applied super clot. I didn't have any neosporin ointment at that time, but It was used on day two. Put him with a heating pad. He has been active, eats and drinks alot, gets tired to be expected, but loves to play while sitting down, when excited he runs and tumbles into objects or the wall which makes be believe his eyes are not working properly. what Is worrying me now is that all I been using is just the neosporin for 11 days not sure if im suppost to clean it again or what,? Is it safe to keep using the ointment for longer? Should I Leave it moist with the ointment? How many times in the day should apply? Should I stop? I'm afraid to put anything else since it had that puncture to the skull which it seems like it has closed for now, I'm afraid that if I put anything else he will get seizures again, he's been so good since ,no seizures, mornings when I wakeup he seems itchy, but as soon as I put some ointment he seems ok. the surround skin looks OK but im starting to see some crusting on the edges of the skin is this normal? Should it be cleaned? Or is this just the skin sebum? I also have Vetericyn plus, (not the one with the picture of the chicken) this one shows the pictures of dog cat bunny parrot, but again afraid to introduce something new. The 1st picture shown is with the neosporin on his head so it looks very red but is lighter in color once absorbed and it does not look irritated. I will have better pictures once the little guy stops playing and moving his head.

Attachments

• 20210501_100525.jpg
    20210501_100525.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 16201762476621288240915919160513.jpg
    16201762476621288240915919160513.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 22
  • 16201767977964958942438086219672.jpg
    16201767977964958942438086219672.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210504_210943.jpg
    20210504_210943.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210504_210836.jpg
    20210504_210836.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to hear about your duckling.
The treatment you have done so far has been great. I would apply the Neosporin lightly to the wound as many times needed a day to maintain a moist wound bed. Continue this until the wound has started to reach/come to the remodeling phase, where you can start to see the skin epithelium migrating across the wound bed
During the healing process, you'll want to avoid letting the duck get in dirty water, or in an environment that may further contaminant the wound. The duckling may benefit from some electrolytes, and vitamins since these stressful events can often take a toll on their health.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutri-drench-poultry-4-oz

Than
Sorry to hear about your duckling.
The treatment you have done so far has been great. I would apply the Neosporin lightly to the wound as many times needed a day to maintain a moist wound bed. Continue this until the wound has started to reach/come to the remodeling phase, where you can start to see the skin epithelium migrating across the wound bed
During the healing process, you'll want to avoid letting the duck get in dirty water, or in an environment that may further contaminant the wound. The duckling may benefit from some electrolytes, and vitamins since these stressful events can often take a toll on their health.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/nutri-drench-poultry-4-oz
Thank you so much, for the advised, I dont get to sleep much because I'm constantly checking on him🙂, I keep him in my bedroom, I'm constantly changing his papers and I only keep a tiny bowl of water so he can't go into a crazy spill of water😄, thank you for the link, I have a tractor supply store near my house so this works perfect👍

So I have never had this happen where I try to fix something this large, I really didn't think this poor little guy would not survive the Hawk attack. He was about 5 days old when this happen, this happen about 12 days ago. He started to improve by the 2nd to 3rd day. Eats alot but his eye sight is not good at all, he had some zesures the 1st to 2nd day not sure if it was because I used Banixx to clean the wound, but he Also had part of his skull punctured, I then applied super clot. I didn't have any neosporin ointment at that time, but It was used on day two. Put him with a heating pad. He has been active, eats and drinks alot, gets tired to be expected, but loves to play while sitting down, when excited he runs and tumbles into objects or the wall which makes be believe his eyes are not working properly. what Is worrying me now is that all I been using is just the neosporin for 11 days not sure if im suppost to clean it again or what,? Is it safe to keep using the ointment for longer? Should I Leave it moist with the ointment? How many times in the day should apply? Should I stop? I'm afraid to put anything else since it had that puncture to the skull which it seems like it has closed for now, I'm afraid that if I put anything else he will get seizures again, he's been so good since ,no seizures, mornings when I wakeup he seems itchy, but as soon as I put some ointment he seems ok. the surround skin looks OK but im starting to see some crusting on the edges of the skin is this normal? Should it be cleaned? Or is this just the skin sebum? I also have Vetericyn plus, (not the one with the picture of the chicken) this one shows the pictures of dog cat bunny parrot, but again afraid to introduce something new. The 1st picture shown is with the neosporin on his head so it looks very red but is lighter in color once absorbed and it does not look irritated. I will have better pictures once the little guy stops playing and moving his head.
UPDATE ON CHIQUI the duck
tomorrow may the 20th will be a month of recovery, he Is doing SO MUCH BETTER at least his injury has reduced in size. His last scab feel out today so it was a little bloody, and then again I applied neosporin. I religiuosly everyday applied just neosporin and nothing more twice a day morning and night. Keep his bedding extra clean, multiple feet bath cleaning to prevent infection in case he scratches
He has new tiny feathers coming out of his new skin.His eyes sight is not that good and the walking he gets tired easy, for his eyes im giving him 1 to 2 drops of carrot juice orally in his mouth not eyes. which I've done in the past and it works. He LOVES romaine lettuce.
I guess it was good that he was still a baby when this happen all of the steam cells kicked in. He looks like a sponge right now since he is molting.

Attachments

• 20210519_120714.jpg
    20210519_120714.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210519_120743.jpg
    20210519_120743.jpg
    454.8 KB · Views: 18

Back
Top Bottom