Need advice before tomorrow morning. Pretty please?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenPox, Mar 13, 2011.

1. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    Will it hurt eggs to not turn them for the first 4 days of incubation? Or would it be better to wait to set them until we get back from vacation. Some of them will be older than 10 days at that point. But they are my girls eggs and not shipped, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  2. Squishy

Squishy Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Since their your hens eggs, couldn't you just collect some more after you get back and incubate those?
    If it were me... I would just let the eggs sit until you get back.. as others have said eggs will be okay up to 2 weeks old, only that your hatch percentage will go down for everyday they sit. But also, I thought eggs had to be kept at a nice constant 60 degrees and turned once a day while they wait for incubation?
    But turning the eggs is important during incubation.. and you would need to frequently monitor the temperature after setting them.. so I think you could very well loose the whole bunch if you set them and then left.
    [​IMG] Sorry for your dilemna [​IMG]

3. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I agree with Squishy

4. kvmommy

kvmommy Songster

Jan 2, 2011
    I've heard alot of people recommend not turning the first 3 days anyway. I turn mine though.

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Songster

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    No. Don't risk loosing the chicks. Not turning them makes the embryo stick

to the side of the egg, which will give you deformed chicks when/if they hatch.

Set them as soon as you get back. Eggs can be held for 7-10 days before

incubating. And if they set to long you can throw them out and get more eggs,

being they come from your own hens. Sorry your in a situation like this, but it'd be

worse it you set them then it affected your chicks. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: