Need Advice! Cold Weather Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LuvinLife, Jul 19, 2011.

1. LuvinLife

LuvinLife New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Hello!

I need help deciding between Buckeyes, Chantecler and Wyandottes... or ???
    I live in an area where we can have snow up to six months of the year and where negative teens at night in January and February are just about guaranteed for a week or two. In the summer the chickens will have free range of our acre or so orchard/berry patch. They will have a an insulated coop, but it probably won't be heated and I will keep a small light over their food in the coop.
    Our primary use for the chickens will be for the production of eggs, but we are trying to become somewhat self sufficient on our little homestead in the mountains so the excess roosters will become dinner, and possibly the hens once they are done laying.
    I don't have my heart set on just Buckeyes, Chantecler and Wyandottes, but I really want a breed with a small comb as I would feel terrible if they got frostbite and one that is known to lay during the winter months.
    Do you guys have any suggestions or advice?
    Many, many thanks!!!

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Any breed you like with a small comb like a rose comb, pea comb, cushion comb, etc. Even the Polish seem to do fine up here in AK, lay year round, and most people I know don't limit themselves to those. Lots of folks have single comb birds too that do just fine. It's more about management than the anatomy.

3. LuvinLife

LuvinLife New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    I appreciate the info- thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by