Need advice: do I have enough space?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yams202, Nov 18, 2014.

1. yams202

yams202 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2014
    Given how many variables there are in determining the necessary space per hen, I thought I should give my specifics. Can I keep 5 barred rocks and 2 Ameracaunas in a 4x4 coop that has open access to a 9x6 covered run? They will have 4 nesting boxes and 7-8 feet of roosting space. They will be fed outside of the coop. They will also have occasional access (on weekends when I can supervise) to my garden area (about 12x40 feet). I live in south florida so snow is not a problem. Oh, also, when can my chicks move on outside? They are two weeks old right now. I'm a first timer at chicken keeping and would love everyone's input. Thanks!

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi, and welcome to BYC!

Personally, I think that's a bit tight. We go with 4 square feet per bird inside, and 10 square feet outside. They get fussy with each other when they don't have enough room.

Each bird needs approximately 1 foot of roost space.

With your warmer climate, you should be able to put them out as soon as they have full feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The coop is really small, but if you convert the coop and run into a full time safe coop, you then have enough room. Welcome! Mary

4. yams202

Nov 10, 2014
    Thank you both. Mary, I am actually doing that. My run and coop will have 12" pavers all around and will be lined in hardware mesh. I think this will keep them safe. My coop will be open to the run at all times. About 70 sq. Feet total.

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    That sounds like a great plan! Please post pictures, we all love to see each others coops and birds. [​IMG]

6. yams202

Nov 10, 2014
    I can't wait to post pics but my setup won't be complete for a couple weeks. My coop is a super cute kids playhouse I got on Craigslist and the run is a dog kennel my parents weren't using. Dad is gonna help me with the alterations since I didn't marry my hubby for his handyman skills. [​IMG] I can't wait to see how it turnsout.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by