1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Advice Fast!! Should I cull this chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicks_N_Horses, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    One of my 4 newly hatched chicks has what appears to be some yolk type, bloody vessel type, insides looking thing stuck to him and the shell too. He is peeping and wobbling all over?

What is this and what should I do? I was told not to open the bator until they dry.

2. tweedle dee

tweedle dee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2008
    Northeastern, NC
    Just try to keep him quiet in the incubator. It sounds like he maybe hatched before he has fully absorbed the yolk. Whatever you do don't pull it from him or the shell

3. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    I didn't....what are the chances he is going to make it though?

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I'd probably take a warm, moist washcloth and wrap him in it with the shelland give him a few hours to absorb the yolk. He might just make it, but if he is active with his stomach not closed that may very-well be his demise. Myself(?), I'd try to save him, but that's just me!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    If it's just a bit of yolk unabsorbed, he should make it; however, if the others are running around and you're worried about someone stepping on what's trailing from his behind, you should QUICKLY grab him out and get him under a heat lamp so he can dry up. A picture would be very helpful...sometimes, they hatch with intestines out...in this case, he would probably not survive. It's had to know what exactly it is without a pic.

6. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well my camera isn't here...I left it at my grandmothers days ago and haven't been back over there yet.

I kind of feel like it is yolk maybe..? I think I would recognize the intestines. However, there is about a teaspoon full of this matter that is on him.

I will wrap him in warm washcloth and stick him under a lamp. He keeps moving and I it looks like it might bust/break on him.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    It needs to dry off if it's unabsorbed yolk; wrapping him with a wet wash cloth will chill him. If you're fairly certain it's unabsorbed yolk, pull him from the bator and put him under a heat lamp to dry. DON'T put the others in w/him until his yolk dries up & falls off. It won't take long!

8. Chicks_N_Horses

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    OK, I just took him out. I kind of tried to put him back in his shell comfy by the lamp in a box.

His sac thingy looked a little redder than I noticed last, like maybe bloodier..??

Is that normal for non absorbed chicks?

9. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I think it does look redder as it dries up and is less full of yoke.

I just had one like that too yesterday. We tried to keep him/her quiet and still. I wrapped it in a warm rag and put it back in the bator, but it wriggled out. It crawled all over the other eggs (which were in a half egg carton) and all over the incubator making a huge mess! It was so active! I couldn't believe it since it didn't even absorb the yoke, but I couldn't slow it down. It made it. It lost most of the yoke in the bator, but it's alive and kicking, and kicking, and kicking!

It was also reaaaaally big. I wonder if that's why it came on out early...? Don't know why it did. I was shocked! The girls just grossed out, lol!

10. OCchickens

OCchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Brea, California
    Best wishes -- let us know how it turns out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by