1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice: First time broody has chick, won't get off the nest?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by buckabucka, May 12, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    My Buff Chantecler is a year old and this is a first experience with broodiness for both of us. We tried to break her of it in a wire-bottom cage for 3 1/2 days, but it did not work.

Since I had eggs in the incubator at the time, I decided to give her 2. The first egg hatched, - I never saw the chick, but heard it. This morning I found the egg shell that she had tossed out of the nest, but it was very quiet. I assumed the chick was asleep. This afternoon, still quiet. DH lifted her up, and was surprised to find the second egg had hatched. There was a live chick and a dead one. He tossed the dead one, and soon after we found the egg shell from the second chick. The second chick is very quiet.

Meanwhile, the hen does not get off the nest. How long will she sit there? Is it because there is a wooden egg still under her? Is it possible that she killed the first chick? I never saw it, but DH says it was all dried off, no obvious flaws, just dead. Now I am paranoid that the other chick will die, and it is especially disturbing that it doesn't make noise and I never see it. The rest of the hatchlings from the incubator are doing well. How long do they normally sit after hatching?
    I appreciate any advice!

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    If there is a wooden egg under her that is why she's still there, she still trying to hatch it. Take the wooded egg and any other eggs away and she should leave the nest with the chick to get food and water.

3. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks! I went out and took the wooden egg this evening.
    I originally gave her 2 wooden eggs, and tried to swap them out for 2 fertile eggs a while back. It was dark, and I was fishing around for the fake eggs, and she was pecking at me and getting agitated. I was afraid she would crack the new eggs I was trying to slip under her, so after retrieving just one wooden one, I gave up.
    I do hope she will get off the nest now! I am worried about that chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by