Need advice for chicks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DurhamChicks, Sep 3, 2014.

1. DurhamChicks

DurhamChicks New Egg

Aug 22, 2014
    I came home from work today to find my momma hen missing. There were feathers in the pen and outside. The momma and 3 chicks were fine this morning. They are 11 days old and very healthy. See profile pic. Daytime temps are 80-85 degrees and nights are 60-65 degrees here in TN. What do I do? I am afraid to put them in my coop/run with my 13 hens since they are so young. They have been outside under our deck in a pen since hatching. They have been staying in a brood box during the nights. When can I put them with the big girls? Do they need a heat lamp? If so, how long? This is my first time with chicks. Help, please!!!

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    The chicks will definitely need a heat lamp! I suggest using the lamp day and night. They are way too young to keep themselves warm but they can feed themselves. Give them food and water and they'll be fine.

And no way can they go with the big girls! Not yet. Not for a few weeks I would think. They had momma to care for them before. Now, everybody will pick on them.

I raised three like this myself. I kept them in a dog kennel in the house.

Good luck.

3. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    P.s. If you take them inside (it was easier for us), get a chick brooder. They're cheap and they work great! The light kept me up. The brooder gave me my sleep back. And yes, we kept them in the bedroom. We have four dogs (couldn't take any chances)

https://www.brinsea.com/p-375-ecoglow-20-chick-brooder.aspx

Again, best of luck.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  4. Rocky Rhodes

Rocky Rhodes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2013
    North Georgia Mountains
    If your brooder box is large enough you could keep them in it with a heat lamp for a few weeks, at about 8 weeks old you can introduce them to your older hens. They will get some rough treatment at first but once the pecking order is established they will be fine. I'd try to set up a few obstacles for the older hens so the younger ones have a place to escape to if the big girls get a little too rough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by