Need advice for ducklings arriving next month

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nluoma, Feb 13, 2014.

1. nluoma

nluoma Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    I've ordered ducks along with my chicks, which are arriving next month. I was cruising along just thinking I'd let them free range and swim in my creek and puddles (we get a lot of those...) But I'm now worried that I haven't thought enough about this.
    We'll be getting only three ducks, and we have 3.5 acres. We have a drainage creek running through our property, which is usually calm and quiet. We have had wild ducks nesting on the creek in the past, but I haven't seen them the last two years. We also have a heron that visits almost daily. Usually it's about 4 to 6 feet across, and about the same deep with a slow current. After nasty storms it can be much deeper, but it never really gets too fast. the edges are always still water and swampy.
    My concern, though, is that as a drainage ditch, the banks are really high (I'm lousy with measurements, but when I stand next to the creek my head is below the top and I'm 5'7". It's not straight down, I'm a clutz and I can walk up and down. We have lilacs and pines growing near the top so there is protection.
    Once the ducks are big enough to let out on there own for the day, would they be safe on the creek? If I don't have to build a pond, I don't want to. Cleaning them sounds like a major issue!

2. Coles FreshEggs

Coles FreshEggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    Ipswich, Ma
    Don't worry you'll be fine! Duck are quite smart and should be able to figure out, the worst time with ducks is brooding them. They are messy and smelly as babies!

3. nluoma

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    We're only getting 3, so I'm hoping that will keep the mess down. Is it just the water that's the biggest mess?

4. stephen k

stephen k Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    They **** none stop in the brooder!if your incubating them keep the temp around 37-39 degrees and turn them regularly.make sure there is water in the incubator for humidity but a little barrier so when they hatch they won't fall in and drown!ive just hatched 4 khaki Campbell's 3 weeks ago!they poo none stop but very nice to have!dip there heads into water at the start to let them know we're it is!wxciting times for u!heres a pic of mine :)

5. stephen k

stephen k Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2013
    Ireland
    [​IMG]

6. nluoma

May 27, 2013
    S.E. Michigan
    They are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by