Need advice for fencing

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenCrazed, Jul 8, 2010.

1. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    I am going to be fencing in some of our property for my hens to free range (my neighbor does not like chickens)...I need to keep my girls home and I have been looking at fencing...Is the goat fencing that is 4x4x48 going to keep my Large fowl Brahmas contained...I know that chicks can get through this but it is mainly for adult hens and 1 rooster...Any thoughts on this subject would be really helpful!

Thanks....

~Laura

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    2"x4" welded wire fencing is usally better, but 4x4? Maybe, if the birds are full grown.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I am pretty sure my Sussex hens could make it through a 4x4 hole if they had any reason to want to. Also of course 4x4 is not very predatorproof.

But if all you want to do is keep the chickens at home, not keep out predators, use chickenwire (1" or 2"), either alone or (better) over top of something with a bit more stability, like 4x4 wire or pagewire (field fencing).

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Thank you I was afraid they could get through that...They have a very nice, predator proof hen house and covered yard....I just like to let them out to free range and keep them contained...I know I can not keep flying prey out without a top (too much area to cover) but was hoping to keep stray dogs at bay...I worry that poultry wire is easily collapsed by the weight of a large dog... [​IMG]

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Well you know, if it is a large area with lots of shade and bugs and interesting places to scratch around, they may not WANT to leave; and if they did, and you found them starting to squeeze thru 4x4 fencing, you could just *add* 2-3' high chickenwire *to* it, to keep them in.

Just a thought,

Pat

6. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Well you know, if it is a large area with lots of shade and bugs and interesting places to scratch around, they may not WANT to leave; and if they did, and you found them starting to squeeze thru 4x4 fencing, you could just *add* 2-3' high chickenwire *to* it, to keep them in.

Just a thought,

Pat

Thanks Pat!...We are actually considering some wooden snow fencing on part of it so it will also help keep snow from piling up where we don't want it...Oh the things we do for these chickens...rofl....

~Laura

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by