Need advice for final touches to my coop/nesting box floor material.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by E. Buzz Miller, Apr 3, 2011.

1. E. Buzz Miller

E. Buzz Miller Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Cottonwood Heights, Utah
    I plan on doing a full report from beginning to end on my new coop but in the meantime, I only have to add the pine chips/shavings to the coop floor but I'm concerned about space for my nesting box. The actual height entering it is 10.5 inches x 28" across. I don't want to take up anymore space trying to fit a plastic box or container in there for the hen to lay her eggs. I've got linolium layed down already, should I just put some shavings down in there & let them make the best of it? Or is there a better alternative?

[​IMG]

BTW, I'm a newbie to this hobby & have spent the last 4 weeks building my 1st coop & run. I will be bringing 2-3 hens home later this week & will post up my story.
    Thanks.

b.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
  3. RGWright

RGWright Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    NW Missouri
    Pine shavings will work. I personally like and use stray, as it's a softer material and helps prevent the eggs from cracking. You could put a divider in that box, and make it two nest boxes (12 inches width is fine).

4. 2txmedics

2txmedics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    I use the deep litter method, shavings is all I use and I LOVE IT!!!!!

Before I used hay, that got ugly and mucky....and stunk, and it got all matted down, I also learned that the hay can habor mites/lice in it, since its like a straw and hollow, also got real brittle and hurt!!! Ever since shavings, I can just sift throught the mess with a rake, kind of like a kitty litter scoop....and it doesnt stink at all, I change it once a year ...no flies, no stink, I do put DE in it for mites/lice and bug keep away.

5. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    Quote:What is stray...I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,

becky

6. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    Quote:What is stray...I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,

becky

Sorry, I think I figured it out.....STRAW!! Jokes on me.

I use both, but I like straw or grass hay in the winter to keep the eggs from freezing. However, if an egg breaks, it's a mess!

Becky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by