Need advice for getting/building a coop and run

chickens763

Chirping
Feb 11, 2023
Hello, I am currently planning to get a coop/run for 6 chickens but don't know where to start, and i'm not made out to start coops from scratch. Should I just buy a coop and run, and does anyone have any recommendations? Please let me know.
EDIT: I do not currently have any chickens, sorry if that wasn't clear, i'm only planning.

Save your monies from purchasing any prefabricated coops, they don't hold up to the weather unless maybe you put in in a protective enclosure. Your best bet would to build something or have it built; recommended at least 4sq ft per chicken in the coop and 10sf ft per in the run. You don't have your location noted, which would be helpful knowing your weather conditions & climate.

Some have used those garden/tool sheds which they then modify into a chicken coop, then add a run to it. Here (HI) many have taken to using a dog kennel (bigger the better & offers protection). Some add a "roof" along with roosts, "nest" boxes, etc ...

This website has articles about coops and runs, designs and ideas. Smart move to get your enclosure before the chicks/chicens.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/

Last edited:
Most pre fabbed coops are over rated as to the birds they can actually fit and lack on things like ventilation.

Take it from those of us who've been there and done that.

Nobody wants to hear it but building your own is really the best solution. Or paying someone else to build one to proper specs.

It can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it.

We made the mistake of buying a prefab coop for our 4 chickens. It was rated for up to 6 chickens, in reality only 1 or 2 full grown chickens would be okay in it, and not full time. Because we had to hurry and find something else as they were growing out of that, we hurried up and bought a 8x8 shed and converted it into a coop. Obviously it worked out much better for them and as this winter has been so harsh, I’m super thankful we did this, it gives them a lot more room and shelter for snowy, cold days. In our rush our run ended up being uncovered and made of chainlink fence. It works well, actually, but we don’t have a lot of predators to worry about as we’re in a small town. I do wish we would’ve covered it, however, to give them more time out on snowy days.

All of this ended up costing us around $4,000. Which is crazy for 4 chickens, but it’s our own fault for doing things wrong from the start. I do want to add to our flock, so I’m thankful we have the room without any modifications now. I’m glad you get the opportunity to do things right for your flock the first time around. I think it’ll help immensely with cost. Given the chance to do it all over again, I agree with what others said, I would probably attempt to build my own. Good luck to you and yours :)

As said above, very smart to think about this ahead of time. If you aren't already, introduce yourself on your state's thread. Then see if there's anyone near you that can show you thier coop. Due to biosecurity, they may not want to. That's ok, ask what they like or dont like about thier coop/run set ups. They will have the same weather patterns you would have.

Me - I like open air hoop coops & chicken tractors & DLM for both coops & runs. Fairly easy to build, can be very in-expensive or can be made into a perfect "FT Knox" setup. Can be movable tractors or can be permanent. Variety of roofing & siding options. Can stand up to walk in. Any nesting box set up will work. Easily expandable (chicken math, ya know, IS REAL. LOL) or can be made smaller (breeder or brooder).

There are a lot of different hoop coop plans in the coop area of BYC. I used to have a full list that I added to when new ones were posted, but my laptop has been down a while & I haven't done that list on my phone.

Here are some of mine. I am working on new & refurbishing some of our old coops & runs now. I may someday do an article w/ mine, but hasn't happened yet. Easier, for now, to post links to my google albums.

Cattle panels, coops & sheds

Chicken Tractors

DLM

Welcome to BYC. If you put your general location into your profile we can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters.

Here's some rules of thumb about prefabs:
  • If it looks like a dollhouse it's only suitable for toy chickens.
  • If it's measured in inches instead of feet it's too small.
  • If your walk-in closet is larger than the coop-run combo you're thinking of buying think carefully about whether you have an utterly awesome closet or are looking at a seriously undersized chicken coop.
  • If a man of average height can't lie down in the run and stretch out comfortably it's too small.
  • If it has more nestboxes than the number of chickens it can legitimately hold the designer knew nothing about chickens' actual needs and it probably has other design flaws too.
And some general advice on chickens space needs:

The Usual Guidelines

For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
6 hens
  • 24 square feet in the coop. 4'x6' is the only really practical build for this given the common dimensions of lumber. If you can't walk into it, put the access door in the middle of the long side to make sure you can reach all areas of the coop because a stubborn chicken WILL press itself into/lay an egg in the back corner where you can't reach.
  • 6 feet of roost
  • 60 square feet in the run. 6'x10' or 8'x8'.
  • 6 square feet of ventilation.
  • 2 nest boxes, to give the hens a choice
Repecka Illustrates Coop Ventilation

What are your;
1) weather conditions / location
2) construction / building skills
3) budget

You can use all kinds of salvaged materials. I waited almost a year gathering bits of treated wood, screws, old chain link to put in the ground. When i found a free 17' roof panel i built off its dimensions.
Prefabricated coops are not cost effective for what you get but if you lack the construction skills, get your skills you do have to make extra money to pay a carpenter that knows how to build acoop. It will beat that prefabricated coop hands down.

Definitely need climate type info. Hot/dry? Cold/frigid/snowy? Wet/humid/hot? Etc.

What is recommended for humid/hot Deep South is different than MN, is different than HI, or CA, etc.

What type of predators are you going to be concerned about? Those who deal with bears have to build/plan differently than one who deals with other predators. You have small predators like blood-thirsty mink, or mice/rats, to agile raccoon and snakes, and canines like fox, coyotes, or dogs. And let’s not forget the aerial hunters.

Back
Top Bottom