need advice for Gretl

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by QHnPPcks, Nov 2, 2014.

1. QHnPPcks

QHnPPcks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Many of you might have seen the June post and some subsequent updates on our pullet, Gretl, who was mauled by a dog, and survived to become our treaured house chicken.

She is now at the age when she could start laying, and I have been concerned because she has some permanent neuro issues. About 10 days ago, I discovered a bloody spot on her bedding. It was about the size of a half-dollar. I checked her over and could not tell the source of the blood. No other signs or symptoms. Then this morning, there are several small blood spots. She is eating, drinking, pooping, and not doing any squatting or "egg song", but with her neuro deficits, I wouldn't be surprised at her not doing "normal chicken" things. Please advise!

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    So sorry to hear about the misfortune your hen has suffered[​IMG]. Been through the same with my chickens. DH has an English Setter. We have tried to train her not to eat my chickens, but she has a solid focus for birds.....any bird. Mine, yours, anyone's. Anyways I also nursed one of the survivors back to health. Her rear end was attacked badly. So, she did not suffer neurological problems thankfully. She made it through the winter and then the raccoons got to our chickens. She didn't make it.

Back to your chicken..... How old is she? I am sure you have checked her over upside down for any unknown injuries. Do you think it could be something she ate? Did you check for egg peritonitis and coccidiosis? Was the attack in June? Have all wounds healed since then?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Check to see if there's blood in or around her vent. If she acts sick and huddled up, I'd say maybe cocci. You may just have to wait a few days to figure it out. Is it blood blood or some bloody material?

4. QHnPPcks

Jun 26, 2014
    Thanks, Outpost JWB for taking the time to answer. The dogs are now OK with the chickens (Labs). Gretl was about 9 weeks old when the mauling occurred. She is now about 6 months old. My other3 chickens of the same age are laying. I cannot see any injuries at all, and she is confined to the house with brief supervised outings to the yard, as the other 3 hens attack her! So, I don't believe she could have cocci. She behaves the same as always; no lethargy or off her food. No sign of being eggbound, either (so far). That is my primary concern as I wonder if she will have normal egg production.

5. QHnPPcks

Jun 26, 2014
    Appreciate the reply, Seminole. No more blood spots. No unusual or "sick" behavior. I did check her over very thoroughly, and could not see any blood anywhere. The first "50-cent" spot was dark and didn't have any material in it that I could see. The other spots were less than dime-size, and were frank or fresh, bright red. Because she is strictly in the house most of the time, I didn't think it could be cocci. I will keep a watch on her - am mostly concerned because of her injuries at 9 weeks old, she will have problems laying.

6. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would imagine that if she will lay eggs, there's a good possibility that trauma could delay her egg laying.

7. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    X2 on what Seminolewind said. Also, are they all the same breed? Different breeds start laying at different ages.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by