Need advice for hen with skin issues and she looks egg bound

EIEIO_farm

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
My sweet Penelope has had this bald spot on her back for about a month, but acting normally, I thought maybe our rooster was to blame. But today I gave her a bath and it’s much worse that I thought. Her while underside is also bare. She’s also looking like she’s struggling to pass an egg!!!
We have 14 hens and they all are healthy so no kites or anything like that. I currently have her in a warm epsom salt bath. Please help, I don’t want her to pass away :(

Attachments

• 913C714E-BE2B-4AA8-906E-C324C7F22417.jpeg
    913C714E-BE2B-4AA8-906E-C324C7F22417.jpeg
    545.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 4DE67C96-D498-468B-921B-185BB8536282.jpeg
    4DE67C96-D498-468B-921B-185BB8536282.jpeg
    611.4 KB · Views: 4
My sweet Penelope has had this bald spot on her back for about a month, but acting normally, I thought maybe our rooster was to blame. But today I gave her a bath and it’s much worse that I thought. Her while underside is also bare. She’s also looking like she’s struggling to pass an egg!!!
We have 14 hens and they all are healthy so no kites or anything like that. I currently have her in a warm epsom salt bath. Please help, I don’t want her to pass away :(
Wow, that looks really inflamed. Poor thing! The back could be feather pecking or treading. The underside looks a bit like a fatty deposit. Has she passed the egg?

She hasn’t yet, but keeps rectracting her muscles back there, so I’m not sure what that’s about! She is currently wrapped up in blankets and ate some chicken starter feed, she otherwise seems healthy. I’m so confused about what’s causing it.

You may need to separate the rooster, and get or make a hen apron or saddle. In my first year I had a young rooster who overmated a few hens. Those hens did not regrow their back feathers until they had their first molt around 18 months. Temporarily, I have used BluKote a purple staining spray that is antiseptic/antifungal to cover the red on the backs to help prevent pecking.

If she is passing droppings, she probably is not egg bound. But she may be having some trouble with her reproductive system. I would separate her in a dog crate with food and water, and make sure that she is eating and drinking. I would also increase your feed to a 20% flock raiser and place oyster shell for free choice.

Back
Top Bottom