Need advice for Little Giant still ais incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cranman, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Cranman

Cranman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Sanford NC
    So I know this is not the ideal incubator, and I could add a fan but honestly I just want to try the incubator out as is before I go modifying it like I do everything else! I got it as part of a package deal off craigslist with a bunch of other chicken supplies.

It did hold temp well within one degree between 99 and 100 after a few minor tweaks of the temp knob.

A few questions, shoud I add water before putting the turner in and preheating it, before adding eggs? If so how much to start with?

Next, lets say it's day 3 and humidity is low, how do you add water with the turner and eggs in place, the turner covers the whole bottom of the 'bater.

As for placement, it looks like I will have about 30 eggs to set. How should I place them, in the center, sides, etc?

Lastly (for now!) pointy end up or down?

Thanks for any advice, this is a great site!

PS I will post pics of chicks when hatched, there will be quite an assortment, but I'm mostly looking forward to the couple of pure BCM chicks and some Wellsummer mixes that are in the group of eggs I have!

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    If I am not mistaken, still air incubators need to run at 101.5 degrees. This is what I do as far as the water goes. I try to leave one slot open over the water tray so that I can add water as needed. You need to have your incubator stabalized prior to putting any eggs in. This means both temp and humidity. I have a LG forced air that I use to hatch eggs. I incubate in my Hovabator. If I remember correctly (I only incubated in it one time), I filled one side tray for incubating and then I filled just the center for hatching. My advice is to set it up and check it with a hygrometer.

After the bator is stablized, you can place the eggs anywhere in the bator, pointy side down. Just remember to leave yourself a place to add water.

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    You can remove a few egg out of the middle of the turner to add water through the holes and then gently put them back in. Another option is to run some aquarium tubing to the water well and add water that way via a large syringe. I cut down the sides (just a little) of my water wells in a few strategic spots in the middle part so water could flow into all the chambers.
    Here is a few photos. Of course the sponges wouldn't be in there until you are actually hatching. The tubing to the water well/chambers runs underneath the wire floor so you can put your egg turner on there during the incubation process.

[​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    For me, LG = JUNK. Period. [​IMG]

I've never had any good luck using the one we have.

I prefer my GQF 'Bator.... [​IMG]

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I would think the sponges would get in the way when you put your turner in. [​IMG]

6. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Quote:I will take it if you dont like it! [​IMG]

7. Livinwright Farm

Livinwright Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    Carroll County
    For my LG 9200 we opted out of getting the turner and the fan kit so we could be able to stagger hatching groups. As for the humidity level, I just added water into the ring and 2 channels when the first clutch was going to go in. when I noticed the level getting low I added more water by using a turkey baster [​IMG] Works great!
    If doing a staggered hatch like I have done, you can have the incubator set up in your bathroom. When you want to candle after day 18, or keep turning the later groups of eggs, just turn your shower on to HOT and let it get nice and steamy. Then open your incubator to do what needs doing. [​IMG] This is my first hatching with my LG9200, and so far, the only eggs not viable are ones that were either infertile or that got a hair too warm the first night when I mistakenly turned up the heat(wasn't remembering that it would rise back up) Oops.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Quote:You don't put the sponges in until you are going to hatch.
    I don't care for my LGs all that much but almost all the chickens I have (at least 100 and have sold, traded given away even more) I have hatched out in the LGs. They work really great on my own fresh eggs. Its hard to say really what the problems for shipped eggs are...the bator or the shipping. I have had some great hatches and then some crappy hatches with shipped eggs.

9. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Quote:I will take it if you dont like it! [​IMG]

I would gladly give it you, except it's my FIL's. He's had good luck with, I don't seem to share the sentiment....

10. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

What is the little bottle with white stuff in it in the corner???

I use a small cup and just pour water between eggs into the channels too. works fine for me!
    I'm hoping to get a fan in mine, but this trial run is still air... so far so good... and I'm running it at 100.0, that is what I've read on several places...

only on day 4 so unsure of my outcome yet... but last try failed on all eggs, but just got a new thermometer and found out why, my old one is 4 degrees LOW... so I likely cooked em... ugh... they did develop, but died near the end.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by