Need advice for new chicken coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Vermont Poultry, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I currently have 20, 10 week old birds (14 chickens and 6 guineas). The guineas have started picking on the chickens so we were going to take the chickens out of their current coop and leave the guineas in there. I was hoping to build a medium or small sized pole barn to house at least 50 chickens, have a storage space for food and shavings, brooder pen (not necessary), nesting boxes, and breeding pens. Now the main thing I would like to know is how to go about all of this, what should I focus on, like what type of flooring to use, or basic interior layout ideas. If someone could give me a price estimate that would be great, I would not likely need to hire a contractor because I can do most construction on my own.

2. tmarsh83

tmarsh83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    NEIN
    It's a pretty vague question.

If it were me, I would have a building that was 12 feet deep and as long as you want determined by pens.

I would be building pens six feet wide and 8 feet deep. The additional four feet is one long "aisle" or storage area in front of each pen. I would do eight foot walls on the aisle side, and six foot walls on the far side, with a single slope roof.

That's the basic design I would use, FWIW.

3. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Alright, was thinking of having the width within the realm of 12 or 16 feet. Length would be separated by 8 foot increments, so it would most likely be around 24-32 feet long. Dimensions themselves wont be much of the issue, mostly placement of rooms. One main question I would like to have answered is what should I do for the floor, dirt? Crushed stone? Decided to completely opt out of the idea of concrete, seems a bit hard on the birds legs, and quite expensive option.

4. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    How committed are you to this long term? Enough to justify the expense of housing for 50 birds?

If so, may I suggest a full size Woods Colony House, which is 10' wide x 16' deep and will house 40 birds. If you want to go larger, you double the width (20' W x 16"D), and divide it in the middle to make two 10' x 16' houses. It can have a dirt floor if you want to use a deep litter / built up litter management. It will work well as long as the site you chose is well drained.

5. Vermont Poultry

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    I'm relatively new too chickens, I've become more interested in getting more due to the demand for meat and eggs were I live. The expense is just something I will have to work hard to cover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by