Need Advice for Traveling Brooder

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by drom, Jul 12, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Hello,
    I will be picking up some chicks and will have a 6 hour drive back. I need to set up mobile brooder with a heat source. I did find one web site that has a "travel cuddler" which is a water bag with cover and a thermostat that will hold heat for 4 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas for a heat source I can use to set up a travel brooder?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Do you have anything that you can plug into a cigarette lighter? That's about the only thing I can think of, and it's probably not much help [​IMG]

3. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Quote:No, you are exactly right! Someone else mentioned the same thing and I looked it up:

[​IMG]

I can just plug a little heat lamp in the adapter and clip the lamp to the side of a brooder box. So simple.
    I was looking on line and all I was seeing were some very fancy brooders (Brinsea, etc...) with cigarette lighter adapters that were over $500. I was starting to get worried until someone told me I can just buy one of those adapters for $30 or so, plug in a heat lamp and set up a box.

Thanks!!! [​IMG]

4. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Yeah, you can find an inverter that you can plug in and use to power most things. You can find cheap ones for $50 or under.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You do not need a heat source for a 6 hour trip. Chicks are shipped through the mail in boxes without heat for a day or two at a time without incident. They will be fine in a box with pine shavings or paper towel for footing and air holes for ventilation.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by