Need Advice for Traveling Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by drom, Jul 12, 2008.

1. drom

drom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Hello,
    I will be picking up some chicks and will have a 6 hour drive back. I need to set up a mobile brooder with a heat source. I did find one web site that has a "travel cuddler" which is a water bag with cover and a thermostat that will hold heat for 4 hours.

Does anyone have any ideas for a heat source I can use to set up a travel brooder?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

2. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Do you have an adaptor that can plug in your cig lighter?

That's what we use for computers on car trips, but I'm going to use it to plug in a caeramic heat lamp for turkey brooder traveling. I have a 3 hr trip next week for pick up.

I'm just going to take a clear tote container, a screen for the top, & the heat lamp to keep them warm. I'll line the brooder w/ paper towels and non slip shelf liner on top of that. I'll also stick a stuffed animal in one of the corners. Oh yea, and a few themometers to monitar the heat.

Oh yea, how old are the baies you are picking up?

3. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Smitty's Farm :

Do you have an adaptor that can plug in your cig lighter?

That's what we use for computers on car trips, but I'm going to use it to plug in a caeramic heat lamp for turkey brooder traveling. I have a 3 hr trip next week for pick up.

I'm just going to take a clear tote container, a screen for the top, & the heat lamp to keep them warm. I'll line the brooder w/ paper towels and non slip shelf liner on top of that. I'll also stick a stuffed animal in one of the corners. Oh yea, and a few themometers to monitar the heat.

Oh yea, how old are the baies you are picking up?

Thank you, so I have been looking at adaptors on line and can't really figure out the interface types. I see the ones with the USB interface for laptops. Can I buy one that has an electrical interface that I could just plug a small heat lamp in to?
    The chicks are due to hatch I think around the 21st of this month and I suppose I will be picking them up when they are a few days old. I haven't worked out the logistics with the breeder yet but will be calling her when I figure out how I am going to transport them. There are 6 eggs, so not sure how many will actually hatch.

[​IMG]

4. coltsrox

coltsrox Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Maggie Valley, NC
    my brother and sister just put the heat on and drove them being in a box course that was only a 45minute drive!

5. drom

Jun 12, 2008
    California
    Oh-I found one:

[​IMG]

6. Yanna

Yanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Illinois
    What about the heat packs you find at the drugstore that give you "instant" heat? You could easily pick up a few of those and keep one wrapped in a towel, replenishing as necessary.

Just a thought.

7. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:Yes, that is very similiar to what I have. We bought ours at radio shack. I don't remember what we paid for it, b/c we've had it so long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by