Need advice- Freeze warning tonight!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BatonRougeChick, Nov 12, 2013.

1. BatonRougeChick

BatonRougeChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    I know that my chickens can handle the cold. Obviously many of you have happy chickens in much colder climates than mine (I'm in Louisiana!). My only concern is the sudden temp change for my chickens. We have been in the 80s lately during the day, 60s at night. Tonight we have a freeze warning and it will get to 30ish in my area and stay below freezing for 3-4 hours. They were born in April so this is their first freeze. My chickens have a coop with protection from wind, but no insulation or heat or anything. Do you think I should worry about this sudden change in temp? I have 4 hens and 1 young rooster. Thanks!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I wouldn't worry too much. They should be feathered fully by now. My chickens have never had any trouble with sudden drops in temperature. The only thing that I would possibly worry about would be your rooster. If he has a large single comb, there is a chance that he could get frostbite. However, if the temperatures only drop to the 30's, this isn't as likely (the frostbite that I've experienced with my chickens has ocurred either in really damp/cold weather, or in really cold temperatures).

3. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    The colder temps will feel good to them. I have some hatched in late August and turn 12 weeks old this week. They are nicely feathered & fine. Mine love the cold weather.

The only sudden change in temperature that is dangerous is when it goes UP real fast like 60-70s up to past 90 F suddenly -- that would be concerning. High temperatures (esp > 95 F with humidity) and sudden temp changes drastically up can cause deaths.

4. Trey Folk

Trey Folk New Egg

Jan 15, 2013
    Springfield, LA
    I was wondering the same thing as I live in Springfield,LA. We have 6 hens. I have installed a roost on the outside of the coop and for some reason they refuse to sleep inside even when it's raining. Luckily I installed the roost to be removable so I'm planning on removing it this evening to see if they will sleep in the coop tonight.

5. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They should be fine, good well vented housing is key. My birds handle much colder than that. My daughter has some silkies that are young, a couple months old and we plummeted in temp these past couple days, tonight i am a balmy 25F with windchill of 18F .. they'll be fine, it's not our first night of awful temps.. yet we're set to rise by the weekend moving back up to the 40's overnight and 50F during the day, they adjust surprisingly well. Us? not so much lol

6. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    Thank you all for the comments. I went out and put up a fleece curtain to help keep some of the wind from getting to them directly. Our coop is partially open. But at least they are out of the direct wind and in a sheltered area. My rooster pecked me for the first time ever because I went to do all this in the dark when they were all asleep! Once I put a light on and he realized who I was he calmed down. Love that he takes care of his ladies [​IMG].

7. Dawneebird

Dawneebird Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Pensacola
    Thanks for great advice! It is supposed to get in 20s tomorrow night. I live in NW Florida. I have a small coop that isn't insulated but I shut the door at night. I am hoping they will keep each other warm!!:p

8. wewcz5

wewcz5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Shasta county, Ca
    Mine are 8 wks and we have a freeze warning. They seem to have fully feathered out. Should I be concerned?

9. BatonRougeChick

May 13, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    My Coop
    When we got down to 28, mine did fine! So I'm not as worried now. Is it getting much colder where you are?

10. Dawneebird

Dawneebird Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Pensacola
    There are not many days it gets to 15 degrees here in NW Fla. But it is tonight.should I put a blanket over my coop (leaving vents open of course)? My coop is a small cheap one I bought online and I know cold can sneak between wood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by