need advice from a Black Copper Maran expert

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Country Living Farm, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    ok. I got lucky about 4 months or so ago. I hatched 7 roosters and 3 hens. (Yes I am being funny). Out of the 7 roo's what should I look for when deceiding which ones to keep. I have some that are still solid black and some with lots of copper on chest and some very little copper on chest and wings. I think they are still coming it. I have one with almost no copper on chest and copper on next and wings.

Any advice will help on which ones to keep

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Ask bargain. She knows a lot.

3. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    anyone

4. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    I'm certainly no expert but I think they need more time before you can tell for sure.

5. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Read both the French and the proposed APA standards. That will give you a good start. And as Randy noted, you really should wait til they're at least 7 or 8 months old to make the best selections.

French standard:

http://marans-club.perso.neuf.fr/standang.htm#standard

proposed APA standard:

Go to http://www.maransusa.org and click on "proposed APA standard".

ETA: also do a search for Marans in this forum -- there have been LOTS of discussions about them in recent months. Also join one or more of the Marans discussion groups on yahoo, some of which are VERY busy and contain LOTS of info.

And when you have questions, ASK! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by