Need advice from knowledgeable puppy person/dog breeder!!! *PICS*

phoenixmama

Songster
10 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Gilbert, Arizona
So, for the last several months my DH and I have been throwing around the idea of getting a puppy. We have two wonderful, well-socialized, well-trained dogs (11 yr. old Lab. Ret. and 8 yr. old Aust. Shep.). Okay, so there's your background information.

I came across an ad on CL for Great Pyr./Newfoundland cross puppies. They are only 5 weeks old. I spoke with the woman, and my first question was about if she was going to keep the puppies with their mama for the next 3 weeks or so. She said that they were eating food on their own, and gave me the impression that she was looking for homes for them right now with no intention of allowing them to stay with their mama. She has two puppies (one male and one female). She also mentioned that a lot of people are interested, but she wanted to give me the opportunity first since I have experience with these breeds and have plenty of room for big dogs. She asked me if I was interested in both puppies.

My concern is this...

I would LOVE one of these puppies. However, I'm concerned about socialization issues arising from raising a pup taken from it's mother at such a young age. I'm under the impression that the whole 8 weeks thing is because that gives the pups adequate time to socialize with their mother and littermates. Also, that pups taken from their mother at ages younger than 8 weeks tend to have biting problems later in life.

So, that being said. Should I not take a puppy, and try not to think about the bad situation they will likely end up in? Or, should I just take one (like the plan was all along) and work my tail off socializing the puppy with other dogs and people? Or should I take both of them so that I don't worry, and so that they at least have each other to socialize with?

idunno.gif

Please give me your advice. I don't know what to do.
barnie.gif

Edited to add: She sent me pictures. OMGosh I am going to die from the cuteness.

Last edited:
If you're like me, you'll end up taking both and your dogs will help the pups learn doggy socialization, too, then you will find a responsible owner for the other pup at 8 weeks old, screening potential owners;) Once people make up their mind like that, there is no changing it and bite inhibition is very important which is what the mama dog would have had time to teach her babes if given the chance to nurish them emotionally and otherwise for the entire 8 weeks.

The two pups in question...greyish one is a boy, black one is a girl

4183495001_ae7b052e44.jpg

Apparently the mama is the black/white dog, and daddy is the tan dog. The mother is supposed to be the Newfoundland, the father is supposed to be the Great Pyr...though I'm not convinced either are purebred. Mama dog does look as though she's had a recent "hair cut" though...so maybe that's why she doesn't look purebred.

4184254252_593983d7dc_o.jpg

I'm a dog trainer and I've seen the problems with pups that don't get the socialization they need early in life. Taking pups away from mom too early can't really be made up by other means, and it is really important. But if you took all 3 pups, socialized them, kept them together until 10 weeks and then sent 2 to other homes, that would be almost as good. Maybe better because they are getting the littermate socialization, plus being with some one that cares about really socializing them. Since they are guardian breeds, which are designed to be wary, losing out on early socialization can be a major problem...well newfies aren't guardians, but still.

Just really do your research before permanently keeping more than one, littermates can be really difficult to raise properly.

And OMG, how cute! That gray one is really unique looking, I've never seen a pup that looks quite like that. Is the pup in the bottom pic part of the litter too? That one looks like a St Bernard.

@lemurchaser...I think that other pup is part of the litter, but they are only looking for homes for the first two. Re: the socialization thing...that's why I'm thinking I should take both puppies so that they at least have one another during that critical 5-12 week period. I certainly would plan on finding the one a good home after he/she would be old enough. Thanks for the tip that littermates can be hard to raise together properly.

You know, if I cared less I just wouldn't take either one...I wouldn't bother with it. Gosh, I'm just worried since she said the other people interested said that they had no experience with giant dog breeds/LGDs. Not that I'm super experienced with them, but I feel better about it than the average impulsive CL shopper!

*sigh*

Edited to add: Now that I think about it...that pup in the bottom picture seems older than the first two. Maybe he isn't part of that litter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom