Need advice from leghorn owners on wing clipping

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by matimeo, Aug 15, 2011.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm thinking ahead to my next flock. Currently my chicken's run has six foot fencing all around except the front is only four feet high. Currently my RIR, Delaware and Gold Comet chickens are unable to fly over with clipped wings. However, I'm considering at least one leghorn in my next flock. Can anybody with these birds tell me if they will still be able to clear a four foot fence after a good clipping (both wings as far down as you can go).
    Thanks in advance,
    M

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I don't know but I think you are only supposed to clip one wing. It is supposed to throw them off balance so they cannot fly?

3. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    I know that my Leghorns (adopted from a neighbor) can clear a 6 foot fence with un-clipped wings... not sure about clipped... we haven't gotten that done yet... I'm curious to see what other people say. The ones I have seem to be "Houdini chickens"... seems they can get out of anything... I watched one fly over a 6-7ft high dog kennel side...

4. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:I'm pretty sure this is one of those urban legends that gets spread on this site. It keeps getting reposted to the point that it is the sacred cow of wing clipping.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Unclipped the dang leghorns can fly up on to the 1st story level of the roof without batting an eye.

One wing clipped leghorns some how can still manage to clear a 5 foot fence, just a bit unbalanced in flight vs full two wings.

Two wing clipped leghorns can still manage to jump and flap feverishly to the top of a 4 foot fence. They fly more balanced than a single wing clipped bird, but flap a whole lot harder and seem to still be able to fly.. sor tof.

Two wing clipped leghorns so much that all primary AND secondary feathers are gone can sometimes make it to the top of a 3 foot fence but should be kept in pretty well by a 4 foot fence... they just look a bit funny because they have stubby arms vs wings.

When they are over a year old, they don't tend to fly out of things as often. Just got to make it past their 3-10 month stage where jumping fences are fun... or perhaps that is ironically the time when the garden has the best things to eat in it....

6. Love2Homeschool

Love2Homeschool Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] This is what I was going to say too.

7. matimeo

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon

I need to start a thread about chicken forum urban legends.

8. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA

I need to start a thread about chicken forum urban legends.

x2. I clipped my leghorn wing and she still can fly over a 5' fence. Alittle off balance but can make it over non the less.

9. jcoleman13

jcoleman13 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    booneville ar
    My unclipped leghorns have no issues flying into trees to roost

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by