1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need advice from other chicken lovers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Benoitra, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Benoitra

Benoitra New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    About a month ago, my cochin pullet developed puffy eyes with a clear discharge coming from them and mucous discharge from her beak. She was very lethargic and would occasionally gasp for air. I separated her from the flock and gave her 2 cycles of Duramycin 10 in her drinking water. 7 days each cycle with a 7 day space between. She is still lethargic and the eyes are still swollen with clear, bubbly discharge. I found an NFZ puffer and have been applying it to her eyes topically, with little improvement. Next steps? Am considering Tylan 50 injectable.

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    First, how old is the pullet?

What you describe with nasal/ocular discharge and swelling around the eyes could be symptoms of Coryza. As time goes on, the discharge becomes cheesy and stinks. Tetracyclines or Tylosin isn't effective against Coryza. You need to get Sulfadimethoxine to treat it. With the dispersible powder you can use 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon of water for 3-5 days. If you choose sodium sulfamethazine (Sulmet), the dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7-10 days.

Coryza is a secondary infection related to CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease). So if you clear up the swelling and there is still respiratory wheezing, coughing, or runny eyes/nose, you must change medication. Tylan is the antibiotic of choice to treat CRD. L-S 50 powder is commonly used in chicks to combat CRD.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  3. Benoitra

Benoitra New Egg

Dec 28, 2013
    Not real sure on the age. My guess is around 3 months. Not sure if I can find Sulmet at the Co-Op or Tractor Supply. Should I just go with the Tylan injectable?

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I would get Sulfadimethoxine powder and L-S 50 dispersible powder for such young pullets. Most feed stores carry those two products.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by