Need advice getting ready to do some work on my runs. New Question...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Teresaann24, May 7, 2009.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Weathering and the horrible ice storm we had this winter took a toll on my runs. I have slooping roofs and muddy runs that will not dry up.

I want to start working on my runs next week...So all I have went through I figured I'd use red pine shavings in the run to cure the muddy runs. Will this work? I was told that laying down cardboard first. Then laying down the red pine shavings to cure muddy runs. Now for the slooping roofs I have some wire poles that came out of a old umbrella. I intend on hammering them in the ground and then bending them and attaching them to the slooping parts of the roof to pull the roofs up. Will this work or am I wasting my time. I am trying to fix everything without spending too much money so far on everything I have gotten to fix the roofs and floors and add new nesting boxes has ran me about $20. Any advice is welcome!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Thanks for posting that info for me!

However will red cedar shavings hurt my birds being in the run? I thought it would be ok to use them outside.

What I bought was from TSC Its called Tenn red wood shavings...Is this the same as cedar shavings?

Last edited: May 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by