NEED ADVICE! Green skin on chicken?

critterlover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Connecticut
Despite all my efforts and a pampered life, my chicken have taken to plucking each other this winter. No blood or sores. Missing feathers around vent and only down feathers around hip area.

They have recently started plucking around a few of the chickens necks down to the skin, still NO blood. I have been keeping a close eye on them, but this morning one of the girls (a BO) has normal skin on most of her neck and then she has two green patches of skin. Yes, I said green. There is NO infection or open wound at all. I rubbed the skin and it is perfectly dry and feels normal other than it being green.

There is not one thing in the coop or run to cause this. I am really worried and have no clue what this is. Has anyone every seen this before? Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have a nervous breakdown
barnie.gif

Not sure about the green skin... bruising is about all I can think of too.

I wonder if the chickens are getting enough protein... could this be what is causing the picking? If so fried egg, or a bit of cat food... or just come meat scraps might help.

Do you do the hanging cabbage? Mine get so busy pecking the cabbage they don't have time to peck eachother.

My mom used to take a corn cob hanging on a string. Its so fun to watch and while corn isn't the best thing for them, having their feathers picked is no good either and a good bit of distraction goes a long way.

Kind Regards!
smile.png

They get fresh veggies/greens every day along with Layena feed. I have been feeding them extra protein in various forms every day in case that was the problem. I got a head of cabbage, but was not able to get it set up to hang by myself and hubby has been getting home after dark every day. They have a flock block in their coop and I spread mixed seed in the run to keep them busy.

I did not think of bruising. Wow, now that I think about it, the last few days I noticed her neck had a dark tone to it and just thought it was her coloring. That makes total sense!! Now would be about the time a bruise turns greenish then yellow before it fades.

Thank you so much! As much as I hate their pecking, it eases my mind to know what it is.

the green skin indicated bruising by other chickens pecking
here are some good things to do to stop pecking

I would catch all birds pecked and paint the spots where feathers are missing and broken with tar roffing tar
it is thin in consistency and black
it will come off the chickens eventually and in the meantime the feathers will grow back
also the tar drys and stops pecking birds
the bad birds who peck to stop the pecking
also may I suggest these things to do for the hens

1. feed whole horse oats and granite grit in a self feeder, as well as feeding the commercial protein feed

2. hang a head of cabbage dark leaves and all wrapped in a piece of chicken wire, hANG TILL IT IS 1 FT FROM FLOOR FROM CEILING

3. HANG A PIECE OF BALED ALFALFA WRAPPED IN CHICKEN WIRE FROM CEILING TO DT FROM FLOOR
WHEN BOTH 2 AND 3 ARE EMPTY IN TOTAL VOLUME REFILL THE CHICKEN WIRE HOLDERS WITH MORE CABBAGE AND ALFALFA HAY

all this is good for feather growth and chickens to lay and ot be bored
email any questions

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and new with chickens, and i know this is an old post but i need some reassurance! I have just noticed green skin along the back of my hen's leg. This leg has been damaged from birth and she has never been able to proporly walk on it. Since she was taken by a dog a few days ago the leg has been worse than ever! It is limp (and i asume broken) and it has a big wound (which is scabbed over and not infected). I am wondering if this bright green patch is just a bruise or something to worry about?

Hi everyone! I am new to this site and new with chickens, and i know this is an old post but i need some reassurance! I have just noticed green skin along the back of my hen's leg. This leg has been damaged from birth and she has never been able to proporly walk on it. Since she was taken by a dog a few days ago the leg has been worse than ever! It is limp (and i asume broken) and it has a big wound (which is scabbed over and not infected). I am wondering if this bright green patch is just a bruise or something to worry about?

did you ever find an answer to your green skin?
i gave a chick to a friend and noticed today that it got cut, it wasnt taken care of, until today when i saw it. i cleaned it all up for her and cut some feathers away and put neosporin on it.
but i noticed that the skin from the ankle to the hip was green.
i can not find any answer to why or how this happens??
any help would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if it could maybe be bruising?  Can you post pictures?
X2. I had a hen this summer who had her butt plucked bald by the top hen.,never broke the skin but I remember freaking out thinking she had mold growing in her skin or something fungus wise.
Upon further inspection (& the fact that she flinched pretty good when I touched it) I realized she was brusing. Lol gave me a good scare and definitely had me scratching my head wondering how the heck she got moldy.

Last edited:
Ya i wouldn't worry about it if your chicken gets green skin! My chicken's green spot just faded away, so i asume it was just a bruse!thanks everyone

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom