1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need Advice - have 2 chickens, one turned out to be a rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aglaser, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Aglaser

Aglaser New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    Hello. I need some advice. We are new to having chickens and we raised our little ones from 2 days old. They are now 4 months old and I woke up to the sound of a rooster! My children are devastated. They love their new pets and I know I have to find a new home for Piper. As hard as that will be to give Piper away, that is not my biggest problem. What do I do now that I have just 1 hen. Do I try to find another 4 month old hen to join her? Or do I start over with 2 new chicks and integrate them when they are old enough? If I get chicks, will my 4 month old be ok in the coop all by herself? I feel so bad that she is loosing her little friend that she grew up with. Please provide any insight you may have as soon as possible!
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would try to find her a new friend close to her age. If that doesn't work then try for a few chicks to join her. If she's alone for a little bit you could get her a mirror and try to spend as much time with her. Sorry to hear you ended up with a rooster [​IMG] it will work out though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by