Need Advice - have 2 chickens, one turned out to be a rooster!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aglaser, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Aglaser

Aglaser New Egg

Oct 4, 2014
    Hello. I need some advice. We are new to having chickens and we raised our little ones from 2 days old. They are now 4 months old and I woke up to the sound of a rooster! My children are devastated. They love their new pets and I know I have to find a new home for Piper. As hard as that will be to give Piper away, that is not my biggest problem. What do I do now that I have just 1 hen. Do I try to find another 4 month old hen to join her? Or do I start over with 2 new chicks and integrate them when they are old enough? If I get chicks, will my 4 month old be ok in the coop all by herself? I feel so bad that she is loosing her little friend that she grew up with. Please provide any insight you may have as soon as possible!

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    I would try to find her a new friend close to her age. If that doesn't work then try for a few chicks to join her. If she's alone for a little bit you could get her a mirror and try to spend as much time with her. Sorry to hear you ended up with a rooster [​IMG] it will work out though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by