Need advice/help/experiences,Pekin female cough/voice changes now

kari1981

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Hello I am in need of help/advice/experience. I recently had a thread about my pekin female 8month old coughing. She has been coughing well over 3 months now. It seems to get better and then get worse .. Well the last 2 days now her quack/honk voice is changing. Kinda like she's losing her voice. Her coughing is now sounding more silent and not loud anymore.But you still see her chest move up and down. After shes quacking alot she now makes a grunt noise,like shes stuffed up or something. Theres no other symptoms. No nasal discharge, She eats,drinks,baths,plays with our other 5 ducks she grew up with. None of them have any symptoms. I can't afford the vet yet as its bad timing. I am on day 2 of tylan50 1/2cc orally. She has plenty of water to dunk head in so thats not a issue. I always clean out wet shavings and straw everyday. I clean fecal up everyday. I am stokedas to whats going on. Am i missing something here? Could this be aspergillosis? Does aspergillosis progress slowly over a period of 3 months? Whatever it is,it doesnt seem contagious since the other 5 show no signs of this. Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.
I wanted to add that I purchased oxine. I read stories on it. I have misted her for 30mins the last 2 days.

Hello I am in need of help/advice/experience. I recently had a thread about my pekin female 8month old coughing. She has been coughing well over 3 months now. It seems to get better and then get worse .. Well the last 2 days now her quack/honk voice is changing. Kinda like she's losing her voice. Her coughing is now sounding more silent and not loud anymore.But you still see her chest move up and down. After shes quacking alot she now makes a grunt noise,like shes stuffed up or something. Theres no other symptoms. No nasal discharge, She eats,drinks,baths,plays with our other 5 ducks she grew up with. None of them have any symptoms. I can't afford the vet yet as its bad timing. I am on day 2 of tylan50 1/2cc orally. She has plenty of water to dunk head in so thats not a issue. I always clean out wet shavings and straw everyday. I clean fecal up everyday. I am stokedas to whats going on. Am i missing something here? Could this be aspergillosis? Does aspergillosis progress slowly over a period of 3 months? Whatever it is,it doesnt seem contagious since the other 5 show no signs of this. Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me.
I wanted to add that I purchased oxine. I read stories on it. I have misted her for 30mins the last 2 days.
I really don't know whats going on. Hopefully some other duck experts know. I hope she gets better! Just a question. She is laying eggs right?

Honestly I do not know if she is laying eggs. I have only caught the 3 girls laying and never her. Her beak is alot oranger in color then the other girls. Im going to count all eggs and do a re count in morning

Honestly I do not know if she is laying eggs. I have only caught the 3 girls laying and never her. Her beak is alot oranger in color then the other girls. Im going to count all eggs and do a re count in morning
I would if I were you try to figure out some way to see if she is laying. Counting isn't always accurate because they don't lay everyday

Asper generally only affects birds that are already sick/weak from something else. Since she is otherwise acting normally (and it has been going on for 3 months), I really don't think that could be it.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other answers for you. :( Of course a vet would be best here, but we all understand how difficult/expensive that can be.

Im not exactly sure what kind. I get it from tractor supply sometimes or an all feed place. I only started using straw because its cold out now. Never used it before. I always used fine pine shavings. So her coughing started before the straw

I have thought of that also,like the dust from it. But what other kind of bedding can i use? I have thought of everything and researching everything i can. I cant just pin point her symptoms to one thing.

Back
Top Bottom