Need advice/help for my flock and my child please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deapot2, Jan 21, 2016.

1. deapot2

deapot2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    I'm posting this in this forum because I guess worst-case scenario is needing to know what to watch out for IF a chicken is sick. I have a 4-yr old son. It's been very cold where I am, and while I have one heated waterer, I have been going out every 6 hours to also give a bucket of water to the chickens and ducks. They obviously poop in it. One day, the bucket I picked up when I made the switch out was a huge ice cube - in a 5 gallon bucket. I tipped it over and got it to come out. It's still sitting in my yard...as a complete ice chunk.

Tonight, my son licked this ice chunk. Water and poop ice chunk.

I have called his pediatrician, who referred me to poison control. Poison control has informed me it's not their area, and tomorrow morning I need to call my state department of health communicable diseases department.

MEANWHILE, I'm still sitting here wondering if my son will be okay. I don't know a whole lot about what to be looking for in my chickens that would be concerning. I mean, everyone seems fine. But it's winter and there is feces on the ground. I do my best to keep it as clean as I can, but it's winter and they're on the actual ground (not a raised floor). So there is poop all over the floor, mixed with hay. Most frozen, some not.

Can anyone offer any thing I should be looking for in my chicks/ducks that would be concerning to my son? Salmonella? I'm very worried. :(

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My best thought would be e coli, I grew up on a farm and owned a dairy farm, and have had various critters my whole life, I'm pretty sure I've eaten plenty of poop over the years and have survived. He could get stomach problems, like diarrhea, otherwise I can't think of anything else. If he seems fine I don't think I would worry. I would probably have a talk with him about not eating poopcycles.

1 person likes this.
  3. Hholly

Hholly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2015
    Amo, IN
    Hopefully his immune system will kick the bacteria in the butt! But in the meantime, try not to stress too much. Kids put so many dirty things in their mouths, nature has a way of protecting them for the most part.

4. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Same, I have lived in a zoo and I never had anything from the animals that made me sick. The first problem I see in this story is that you have ducks and chickens together. Ducks are very messy and water will get dirty with in minutes leaving your chickens with unhealthy water. Ducks are normal to drink out of a puddle or a dirty pond but chickens weren't made that way. I say get something that works for your water bowl and put in a heat lamp in the coop for them and separate the ducks from the chickens if possible or at least move the water where it cant get dirty right away. Don't worry I feel you, I've had these problems before. Good luck!!!

5. deapot2

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    That's actually why I have a heated waterer. They were able to get clean water from that. But I have a very broody hen at the moment who has taken ownership of that side of the run and separate coop. This is my first winter with poultry, and while I did my best and think they'll survive, my run and coop were poorly designed given my electrical limitations. So until spring, this set up will have to suffice. Thank you for your honesty and help. :)

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I was hoping I was just being an over reactive mother and nothing more. :)

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have some muscovy hens with my chickens, they do make a bit of a mess with the water, I just use rubber buckets and dump and refill twice a day and I keep hay down to cover any ice caused by the ducks. So your son is doing okay?

7. deapot2

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I contacted the state department of health, and they referred to it as an "exposure" or whatnot. Told me I have to watch him for 8-10 days, and mark the calendar if he gets sick so he can go to the doc for a stool sample. Just as all of you said, GI problems is likely what would occur, if anything at all. Again, thank you everyone!

8. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    When we first moved my girls out side. They escaped from the coop. The whole family spent two hours trying to catch them. My toddler son 18 months must have gotten something on his hands or what. But about three days later he and his older big sister(7)got sick, oddly enough my middle girl who caught most of them did not get sick. My 7 year old got better but not my son he was throwing up and having the runs for over two weeks. I finely had my doc do a stool sample and he had salmonella. They put him on antibiotics and he is fine. Happy and healthy. I'm still no entirely sure it was the chickens( he was napping during the grate escape) but o well.
    You at least have a heads up about it if he gets sick. My doctor recommended that my kids get a daily probiotic from now on. We haven't had a problem since. And they hardly ever get the stomach flu now even when their whole class has it [​IMG]

9. deapot2

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    My mom actually mentioned a probiotic as well. So that sounds like a great idea to me. I used to give him one when he was younger. Can't hurt! So the worst they got was vomit and diarrhea?

10. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    Yep. The doctor told me most kids get over it with no help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by