Need Advice/Help with hatching ducklings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JessyeDagger, Mar 31, 2009.

1. JessyeDagger

JessyeDagger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2008
    These guys pipped sunday evening and only 2 are out so far. One had his beak stuck through the hole and died and the others seem to be moving very little now. I looked in 2 of the eggs(around the pip hole) and the membrane has pulled away from the egg shell all the way around. I am afraid my kids may have messed with them while I was napping today and messed up the humidity. Should I help them hatch?? If so what do I do?

2. Yes, I would help. Just take a toothpick and carefully start to left the egg shell and then carefully lift and remove the membrane---if you see bright red blood, stop and wait 20 minutes and try again. Do you hear any chirping or see any movement. This happens so often with ducklings. They need a good amount of humidity to pip and hatch at the end. Keep us posted...

3. JessyeDagger

Sep 2, 2008
    they are still moving thank god. I have removed the egg and the lining(but not the membrane yet) most of the way around the egg just like they would do. There are still blood vessels showing on the membrane. Is that ok?? They are all struggling to get out of the membrane but none of them can. I am keeping them moist by spraying with warm water every 30 minutes or so(very quickly so as not to lose heat) Do I just leave them and see if they can get the rest of the way on their own?

sorry for any spelling errors, running on 2 hours sleep.

4. You said they have pipped, correct? I usually like to make sure the duckling has air to breathe, so I always make sure their beaks are out. As far as hatching, misting is good, but remember everytime you take the top off the incubator, you're letting out the humidity. I usually just place a soaked, warm sponge(new sponge--nothing with any residue of cleaners or anything) or a warm wash cloth in there--not touching the eggs, but close. You do need to help if the membrane is drying out. I just tear the membrane a little at a time and then if I see red blood, I stop and try again about 20-30 minutes later. They probably haven't absorbed all their yolk yet, so you may want to carefully wet the membrane in the egg, being careful not to get it in their nostrils as this will drown them...good luck!

5. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    This scares me! My ducks are due April 16. There is so much to know about hatching! Ah!

6. JessyeDagger

Sep 2, 2008
    Only one left in the egg now. I helped the others get their heads out and then left them to do the rest. But this one still has a lot of veins showing in the membrane and I am not sure if it is safe.

LilDucky85 don't be scared at all. Just remember no matter how tempting do not keep opening the incubator. That is what my kids did and why we are having issues.

BTW I think we may have a runner duck in this bunch. Truthfully we have no clue what any of them are because we picked up all the eggs at a local duck pond as the were getting destroyed by dogs,rats and even the park rangers!! Last time we were there a park ranger saw me taking eggs and I thought I was in trouble but all he said was "good, that many less I have to break". So in all we brought home 32 eggs and have had about half hatch so far. Not bad considering everything I think!

7. ro.netcmarie

ro.netcmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    travelers rest, sc
    jessyedagger that is just awful of them to that to those eggs!! [​IMG] i have been going to our local collage and walk around the lake just trying and hoping to find a nest of eggs!!!! i did find a white swan on her nest but she is on a little island and there is a channel that is too wide to jump over to see it better. all and all i think that is just wrong though, glad you were there to save those babies that he didnt get!!!!!

8. JessyeDagger

Sep 2, 2008
    Everyone is out and seems to be ok. One has a foot that curls under so I will put a brace on it tomorrow and hope it helps. However does anyone know of a breed that has light feathering by their ankles? Two of the ducklings have it, I thought they may be mallards cause they have the typical mallard coloring but now I am thinking a cross breed.

I will try and get pics up tomorrow when the last 3 are ready to go into the brooder

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by