Need advice-Hen can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Woods_Woman, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Woods_Woman

Woods_Woman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I have a young 4 month old serama hen who can no longer walk. I'm not quite sure what happened to her, but she's been in this condition for about 6 wks. She is now housed inside in a rabbit cage, she's able to eat/drink, but just cant stand or walk without spreading out her wings to brace herself and propel herself about. I feel bad for her cause I just don't know how to help her, do I let her live her life this way? or is it best to have her put down? Any thoughts?

ETA- I never noticed any injuries on her..just not sure what happened.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    Bump-

3. denim deb

denim deb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I also have a chicken like this. I found her like this in January a few years ago. I don't know if she got stepped on by a horse, had her feet frozen, or what. She still gets around ok, though I do have her caged up. Otherwise, she'd probably get eaten pretty quickly. I've also wondered if I should have her put down, but she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

4. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I actually took my chicken to the vet (avian) because she was limping, dragging herself around. So pathetic. She has torn ligaments in her knee; it slips off to the side at an unnatural angle. She's now in a dog crate being kept quiet and she's on a chicken dose of celebrex. If she's not better in 2 weeks then it's probably permanently damaged and I have decide what to do with her. The vet mentioned putting her down. The vet said they're like little football players who blow out thier knees, but in the case of a chicken there isn't a way to brace or repair it. No idea how she did it. She had been broody so I hadn't really noticed that she had injured herself. So sad because she is my most favorite. I hope yours recovers.

BTW, I took her to the vet to rule out disease or parasite. Apparently intestinal troubles can manifest as leg problems. She mentioned a protozoan disease that's been showing up causing inflamation of the leg nerves. I guess it was good to go ahead and pay for a fecal exam to determine if we have any worms or other critters. She was clear so the entire flock is clear.

5. Woods_Woman

Oct 21, 2009
    Oregon Rain Forest
    I think I will just keep her as she is. But I feel bad cause she's not able to do what chickens love to do which is walk around scratching for food etc..I know serama's are often kept indoors, but I'd love to see her on her feet again. I've grown quite attached to her, and I'm not exactly sure there is a qualified poultry vet around to check her out, I guess I'll have to do my research and see what I can find.

6. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Here is a try it for you... Cram a cranberry capsule down her craw using a clove of garlic...Do this for about a week... It is a cheap investment and may well rid you hen of the offending parasite/protozoa. Please post me if it does or does not work.

7. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    Quote:We had a young ameracauna hen that had the same thing happen to her. Except we knew she jumped off the picnic table that is on our deck and blew out every ligament in her knee. It was really sad to see her drag her foot around. We took her to the vet and he said that maybe if we bound her leg for 8 months they might recover. But that wouldn't be a good life for a chicken to live for 8 months being bound up. Then you would have to help her in her rehab. I know it sucks to hear it but sometimes you have to put them down in order for them not to suffer. Good luck.

8. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I know, it's quite a decision for just having an injury. Right now she's still confined to her quarters but even then she has trouble maneuvering herself to get comfey. I'm heartbroken, it doesn't look good. I can't imagine keeping her cooped up in a dog crate the rest of her life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by