Need Advice Hen Won't Use Leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrockpotsMama, Apr 5, 2011.

1. CrockpotsMama

CrockpotsMama Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Came home this afternoon to find my RIR hen limping and not using her left leg at all. I have looked her over and cannot find anything wrong, but she will not move much, is fluffed out and holds it up and will hop on one foot, any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Have a great day!

2. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Anyone? I am on day 4 no usage of leg. ?I have her seperated and confined. I have been giving her electrolytes, anti-biotics,i have scrubbed her legs down just in case of those mites I have read about. I have been masaging her legs(she don't like it) and I have been bathing her bottom at least 2 times day and applying vasoline to keep down the scalding. ANyone have anything more they can offer? She is drinking small amounts and eatting little at a time. Thanks!

3. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Have you checked under her foot for bumble foot?

What are you feeding her?

4. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    Yes, I have at least 3 times. I cannot find anything on feet top/bottom/between toes.

I am trying to feed her anything she will eat. Normally they are fed Purina cracked corn mixed with purina layer pellets, grit, oyster shell, leftovers and veggies. I have been trying yougart(yoplat & greek for higher protein), tuna, worms, and I found her a crawldad(her favorite) she didn't want it. Any suggestions?

Also, she laid an egg tonight???? I don't know how, but she did. Her last day of laying was the day she went down.[​IMG]

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Try to get her to eat some scrambled egg and see if you can mix some Vitamin B into it, or whatever she will eat. Just do a search for for high in Vit B or use a bit of human Vit B crushed up into her food. A deficiency in Vit B can cause leg problems.

Is she any better since she laid the egg? Sometimes if a hen has been eggbound there can be pressure on the nerves that lead to the leg causing lameness or paralysis.

6. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    She ate the scrambled eggs right up. I had vit B complex I drained into them while I was cooking. I also offered her some watermelon, yum,yum! She is now eating and drinking regularly. She is more mobile, but is keeping her tail down mostly and hoping on one leg. She uses the opposite wing to help her balance. BUT I must say she has come a long way. So thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. I will continue to clean chicken butt as long as she is willing to try.[​IMG]

7. CrockpotsMama

Mar 13, 2011
    UPDATE:

She has a small limp off and on, but eatin and drinkin is going great. I have her in with the others now and letting her free range. When she gets tired she goes in the coop to rest a while. She's still not laying, but I am OK with that as long as she is well. Thanks again for all your advice and help, we'll keep working at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by