Need advice: I have only one chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bothwell, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Bothwell

Bothwell Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    This morning one of my eggs hatched (only had two in the incubator on day 18... they are shipped eggs and must have been shaken a lot). I doubt the other will hatch, and in that event, I will have one chick. I am just now starting a flock, so I have no other chickens. Will this little chick go crazy without others? I am scheduled to get more eggs in August (temps too high for transporting now). Should I try to find another chick of similar age in my area?

Thanks for any advice...

Michelle

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    As long as you spend time with it and give it a stuffed animal... it's likely to do just fine. BUT if at all possible I would hunt down a friend or two for the little fella... it is a lot easier than dealing with a demanding little chickie [​IMG] Where are you located? Someone here might be able to help you out if you don't have anything store-wise.

3. smpezzi

smpezzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Mid-Michigan
    Hi Michelle-

I am pretty new but from what I understand generally a single chick doesn't do well, chickens are very social and need buds. I have seen several times where it has been advised if nothing else to put a small stuffed animal in with it (not in the bator though I don't think) to keep it company. If it is possible to find a chick about the same age in your area I would though. I am sure that someone else can give you even better advice for your single chick though. You might want to do a search on single chick too (Look at the top of the page you will see "search" click that and just type in single chick) I know I have seen similar questions on here about single chicks. Best of Luck to you and [​IMG]

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    do your best to find it another same age chick buddy. If you post on here maybe someone can spare you a little roobaby or something, someone local to you. I have one that was the only hatch in his clutch and I didn't have anything close to his age. He grew up for a month by himself, with a mirror and a teddy bear, (which he ignored) and when he got a little bit bigger and closer in size to the other earlier hatchers I tried integrating him into the flock but he din't know what to do and when they pecked him he just screamed and hid. I finally have him sorted down with three pullets that pick on him some but they get along okay. It would have been so much better to integrate him sooner. I should have put him in a "cage within a cage" so the others could get used to looking at him and not pecking him. Oh well, live and learn. Anyhow, yes, get a buddy for it.

5. robinaggie

robinaggie Flew the Coop

May 25, 2008
    Texas
    Yep, so far only one of my five has hatched, and the little thing is driving me crazy. Is a stuffed animal any different to a chick than a rag?

6. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I would say YES! A stuffed animal...especially if you can find one with a nice fuzz to it, has eyes and a body and at least resembles something. But, that is just my opinion....I'm sure there's no scientific data to support it [​IMG] LOL

7. Bothwell

Bothwell Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find a recently hatched chick or two in my area. I live in Corvallis Oregon (about 1.5 hrs South of Portland). I'm very excited to start this new journey!

Michelle

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by