Need advice: I NEED girls !!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hattiegun, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I may have messed up... I seem to think I have lots more time than I really do.Its already FEB now... [​IMG]
    I have my 2 girls and 2 boys. I need more girls... My ducks will be a Year old in March. Im guessing that spring (March) is when they will start getting their Hormonal urges !! ( they seem calm now) And I dont want my 2 girls to get hurt. My original plan was to try and get some magpies from T.Tennesse in May on a trip I already have planned down by her, BUT wont that be tooo late.. should I be getting them NOW so they will be old enuff to be around the boys this spring ???? And if I get some soon , WILL THEY be old enuff @ 2-3 months for those boys. !! [​IMG] If they just stayed like they are and have been this first yr, things would be perfect LOL
    and any thoughts on how I can geT all Girls... (I need calls which I dont know of anyone that sexes them) If I did get several (hopefully magpies) and hand raised them for a couple months would anyone want the boys ??~ugghh~~ Thanks Kris

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  2. AdamD77

AdamD77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Bedfordshire, England
    We have 2 boy runners and 4 girl runners, which we hope will be enough... [​IMG]

We got the 4 girls after having aggression problems with the two boys, but by the time they were ready to be introduced properly (I would wait until they are 16 weeks/fully grown, you don't want the boys hurting them...) the boys had calmed down, so they've never mated before. It'll be something interesting to watch...

You never know, 2 boys and 2 girls may be fine, you'll just have to see what they're like and have a plan of action if something needs to be done [​IMG]

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I wish I could answer your question but I thought at least I would share my experience.

I'm sure this all boils down to the individual duck personalities, and I know this is more the exception rather than the rule. However, I have two boys and two girls, and they get along great.

No fighting between the males, and no over breeding with the girls. Everyone is happy and healthy!

SO I know it is possible, for a group like that to get along. You may be fine, even if it takes you a while to get more girls.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Ohh thanks.... they all do and have gotten along really really good. The boys NEVER fight with each other as none of them do. My one boy (holeshot) seems more active and I see him always trying to mate Omlet and not Pookie.... Ramrod isnt as interested (yet) lol and the few time Ive seen him , its usually Omlet also... In the beginning they tried with Pookie but not anymore.. I know she is at the bottom of the pecking order , but they get along with her and she gets her way at bossin them around some too... well maybe Ill just wait and see...they really all do get along !! cant believe they will be a yr old next month... !!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by